The weekend’s CCP layoffs ran a shockwave through the EVE community. The pessimists take it as proof that CCP is struggling; the optimists (and CCP) say that the company is putting more focus on EVE in a positive way. Regardless, it’s time to figure out what the community has lost.
As previously reported on Eve News24, the restructuring affected one hundred CCP employees. Out of CCP’s five studios, two (Atlanta and Newcastle) are shutting down entirely. A comprehensive list isn’t available, but numerous ex-CCP employees are identifying themselves on social media – often in the context of account shutdowns.
- CCP Logibro, former Community Developer: “It was an honor. o7 7o.” Logibro had a long and beloved history with the EVE community, some of whom took to Reddit to share their favorite Logibro moments.
- CCP Manifest, former Senior PR, and Social Media Lead: “After 2yrs w/White Wolf + 10 w/CCP, my crazy journey is over. Thanks to my coworkers & the BESTEST players of the bestest games. Fly safe,o7” Shortly afterward, Manifest posted a link to this clip, calling it the closest he’s ever been to writing a manifesto about EVE.
- CCP Frame, former Producer, and Community Developer: “I was one of those affected by the restructuring. This account will go silent from this point on. Find me over at @Broadcastorm for more.” Frame worked at CCP Shanghai, the company’s Gunjack hub. Gunjack, like CCP’s other VR offerings, is out to sea. CCP Shanghai is being restructured, maybe with an eye to the mainland Chinese market for mobile games.
- CCP Hunter, former Database Administrator: “Next chapter starts tomorrow.” Hunter had given three months’ notice at CCP; the timing of his last day appears to be a coincidence.
- CCP Elvine, former Community Lead: “This was my first official position within the gaming industry outside of working for myself as an influencer / content creator. I’ve learn so much from the inside and have so much more respect for those that make the games. Thank you to everyone that has helped me along the way and grow as a person.” Elvine worked at CCP Atlanta, and much of his work centered on the VR sports game Sparc.
- CCP Leeloo, heavily involved in Russian community development: “Sadly today was my last day on a journey with CCP too. Hugs to all others affected!” Among other contributions, the EVE community has lost the perpetrator of one of its most memorable clapbacks.
An unconfirmed rumor suggests that CCP Phantom, Senior Community Developer and the face of ‘This Week in Eve,’ has also moved on. As of this writing, however, Phantom’s CCP account is still actively browsing the official EVE forums.
Here’s hoping those affected land on their feet. If studio recruiter Rob Echter is any indication, former CCP staff may have a solid future ahead: “I’m here to help anyone from #CCP who wants to join @bethesda #WelcomeHome.”
Jenne Exupery is a low-wattage independent who dabbles in shipping, salvage, trade, exploration, and nearly victimless heists. He can usually be found bumming around Derelik and Domain under one name or another. Preferred contact method: in-game mail to Jenne Exupery of Manticore-Horizon Shipping [MANHO].