Comments

Part two of a series of articles looking at the numerous mistakes made by NCPL. Apologies for the long break between the 2nd and 3rd installment due to my traveling.

Double the Fronts Double the Content…right?

Remember how we said NCPL just let Fountain fall? Here’s one of the consequences. Imperium forces had a highway going from Delve through Fountain to the north allowing them to carry out quite the successful campaign last year. They tenderized the north with a massive harassment campaign through their SIGs and Initiative. When the time came for Goonswarm proper to fully deploy, Darkness and their coalition were already exhausted. Sure NCPL made a show of force and fought against the Imperium but they did so within the context of a previous strategic mistake in Fountain. To make matters worse, they divided their energy fighting the Imperium but also against TEST and Legacy in the south. The war in the south was not relevant to NCPL’s strategic needs. In fact, even as a best case scenario, if they managed to collapse Legacy and TEST, the remnants would simply merge into the Imperium. The northern front did matter and in the end we saw Imperium forces press favorable peace terms.

“B-but muh content…two fronts is twice the content!”

This is the mentality people who only think on a short term tactical and not a long term strategic level think and say. The better option would have been to focus up north or at most send a detachment to hit Imperium assets in lowsec, or even hitting logistical structures in Fountain. But since NCPL wanted the “content” of F1 mashing against TEST, now they get to enjoy the “content” of losing space. But I’m getting ahead of myself here.

Venal Concerns and Half Measures

In the last quarter of 2018, a conflict of sorts developed in Venal between Black Legion and the local residents. Black Legion’s modus operandi as led by Elo Knight was to hit just about anything that moves. This included Ranger Regiment in Tenal as well as Darkness/GOTG in Branch and Dek. There was no real strategic calculation on the matter. However Gobbins, leader of Pandemic Horde, had been less than happy with Sort Dragon and his coalition bending the knee to the Imperium. Combining Pandemic Horde’s numbers with Black Legion’s capabilities, the duo handed Darkness/GOTG and Ranger Regiment a number of defeats. Some rumors/speculations say the goal was to install the Circle-of-Two remnant in the north as a reliable anti-Imperium entity. Whatever the reasoning NCdot and PL were uninterested and uninvolved in such matters busying themselves with other distractions. Fast forward to a few months ago, Sort’s Darkness led coalition is working in parallel with the Imperium against NCPL. They just ignored Sort and figured “Yeah…this will totally be fine. No need to address this issue.”

Repeated Mistakes

Nobody can accuse me of being “pro-Goon” but having watched the nullsec meta for nearly a decade I can say Goons actually have some kind of long term strategy. Is it well planned and refined by some puppet master pulling all the strings? Yeah right. But they still have some kind of idea as to what they want to do. As noted above, a large part of Goon success is the strategic weakness of their prime counterpart and rival, NCPL. Long term strategies require one to have the ability to defer gratification. This is also a sign of intelligence over all. In any case NCPL never really needed to exercise this method prior to Skill Injectors and capital proliferation. They could simply rely on having bigger better toys that only their veteran pilots could fly. With the game shifting to favor PvE oriented alliances, NCPL needs a new way to approach things. Faceplanting and then saying “lol at least it’s content” Doomchinchilla style will lead NCPL to ruin. “It’s just content m8” is not going to be good enough unless you’re trying to be a shadow of your former shadow.

PL’s membership has had a huge shake up in the past few years losing some key corps and people in the process. Losing Doom was probably a net positive but it’s uncertain if Hedliner will lead the alliance in a better direction. For NCdot the leadership table was always quite small and the doors to it locked. I got a sense that the leadership wasn’t interested in the game or the alliance, but felt like they already invested so much time and effort they had to continue playing their role in NCdot. This had the effect of producing a leadership style that basically hated to play Eve but didn’t want to give up what they had accomplished. They’re too disinterested to make good strategic decisions but also won’t step aside and let anyone else take the lead. The day Eve shuts down or NCdot dies will be the happiest day in Vince Draken’s life.

This concludes part 3 of the series. Part 4 should be out soon.

1. anon

ramble ramble ramble… nc/pl vs goons test for teh doughnut. no holds barred fleet fights until mineral prices 10x. gogogogogogo

August 26, 2019 at 10:27 Reply
  2. Saeger1737

I believe I can say you are pro-goon, guess you want to be on the side with the most meat heads….

As you know, I don’t hide my name ever…

August 27, 2019 at 01:58 Reply
    1. Seraph IX Basarab

An opinion only someone poorly informed could hold.

September 1, 2019 at 05:58 Reply
  3. Thanks for sharing the post.

August 29, 2019 at 11:00 Reply
  4. Just Opinion

I find two aspects of your agenda interesting. You seem to scorn the idea of “content” being s primary goal. To that I say would a GAMER rather enjoy their time playing a GAME or would they rather endure a grind scenario for a number of years to be part of the winning side? You claim to be neutral in your opinions but in the very title you give away your agenda. You did not call it “Tactical analysis” or some other neutral phrase but “Folly & Blunders” targeted at the actions of Imperium opposition. You boldly claim that you cannot be accused of being “pro goon”. In the immortal words of Shakespeare “me thinks he doth protest to much”. You may not be “pro goon” but you are anti PLNC. I would like to direct your attention to another wise philosopher. In the immortal words of dirty Harry “Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one”. You should try using the phrase “in my opinion” rather than presenting your opinion as the universal truth. For the record I have never been a member of any of the significant corps or alliances of EVE and have no secondary agenda to what is essentially just my personal opinion. My personal agenda is objection to someone who spouts supposed neutral comments that are anything but.

August 31, 2019 at 01:37 Reply
    1. Seraph IX Basarab

Pointing out mistakes doesn’t make me “anti” someone. If I made a critique of (insert sport ball player) it does not mean I am against them. Secondly, I don’t know how many papers you’ve written, but even basic high school English class teaches you never to use terms like “in my opinion” as it weakens your paper. If there is anything I was wrong about by all means address that.

Lastly, the dichotomy between “content” and “grinding” is not an honest one. You can have smart content without grinding. You’ve presented a false choice as the only two possibilities.

September 1, 2019 at 05:57 Reply
  5. nice blog post

September 3, 2019 at 13:13 Reply
  6. cool website

September 3, 2019 at 13:16 Reply
  7. Just Opinion

Good day. The issue of being “anti” is not established in the facts you portray but in the words and phrases you chose to discuss such facts. For your edification I have written more than my fair share of “academic essays” and know full well personal opinions not only detract from the quality/score of the work but are specifically discouraged as not relevant. Your work however is not an academic essay so feel free to own your opinions without gear of demerits. Your last point I concede is good and well made. To end I would like to point out once again that you use numerous highly negative phrases and words to demean and undermine PLNC. Just one example is when you boldly claim “They’re too disinterested to make good strategic decisions”. You present this as fact rather than an assumption. This is where that “in my opinion” comedian handy as I am sure NCPL leadership would most definitely disagree… in my opinion. Your piece is great black propaganda. There is so much to read between the lines I am surprised it was not double spaced. That said I really do enjoy your writing.

September 3, 2019 at 21:42 Reply
    1. Seraph IX Basarab

The reason I chose the wording that NCPL leadership is “too disinterested” wasn’t due to being “anti” them but rather a mercy. The alternative and equally possible claim would be they are too stupid. But I opted to use softer language. The series of mistakes made again and again and again, none of which you have challenged me on by the way, either show disinterest or incompetence.

Of course NCPL leadership is not going to agree on it but I hardly see why that should change what I write. Obviously if they had an ounce of introspection they may have likely avoided some of these issues. I’ve given them as many excuses as possible especially in the first part regarding the way the game shifted and changed. If you are seeing this as black propaganda or anything else than an honest critique, perhaps you are too emotionally attached to the group yourself.

You know it’s kind of funny I’m coming up on a decade of writing critiques of the Eve big players and every time I do one, regardless of the entity and despite having criticized just about every entity there is to criticize, someone is always convinced that I am specifically “anti” their group.

September 4, 2019 at 19:47 Reply
  8. Hello There. I discovered your blog using msn. That is a very neatly written article.
    I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for
    the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

September 6, 2019 at 14:09 Reply
  9. friend

September 7, 2019 at 02:44 Reply
  10. Why don’t you add some links that connect us with NCPL: FOLLY AND BLUNDERS PART 2 or 1?

September 10, 2019 at 02:21 Reply
  11. Right now it seems like Drupal is the best blogging platform available right now.
    (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

September 12, 2019 at 02:31 Reply