SEOUL – September 6, 2018 – Today, Black Desert Online developer Pearl Abyss announced that it will acquire CCP Games, the creators of popular spaceship MMORPG EVE Online. The deal outlines that CCP Games will continue to operate independently as a developer with studios in Reykjavik, London and Shanghai, while integrating the company’s extensive development and publishing expertise into Pearl Abyss’ operations for all current and future projects.

EVE Online is a space-based, persistent world MMO game, developed by CCP’s Reykjavik studio. The game first launched in 2003 and has since gained recognition for its scale and complexity with regards to player interactions in EVE’s single, shared game world. EVE Online is one of the most critically-acclaimed MMORPG intellectual properties (IPs) in North America and Europe, and one of the most extensive works of science fiction in the world.

Pearl Abyss CEO Robin Jung stated, “We are thrilled to have CCP Games join our team as Black Desert Online continues to branch out globally. CCP is a seasoned publisher with over 15 years of digital distribution experience and know-how. They have done an incredible job of engaging and maintaining their playerbase, which we aim to learn from and hope to integrate natively into Pearl Abyss’ general practices across all our games. I am confident CCP’s reputable IP and expertise in global publishing will help reaffirm our company’s dedication to developing and servicing the world’s best MMORPGs.”

“I have been seriously impressed with what Pearl Abyss has achieved ever since I first visited their website for Black Desert Online and subsequently became an avid player of the game,” said CCP Games CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson. “Pearl Abyss is a fast-growing company with lots to offer in terms of technology, capability and vision. I believe our two companies have a lot to learn from each other. We are very excited to join forces with them and achieve great new heights for our companies, our games and – above all – our players.”

Birgir Már Ragnarsson of Novator Partners and Chairman of CCP commented, “As lead investor in CCP for over 13 years alongside General Catalyst and NEA, we’ve seen CCP go from being a few dozen people strong to employing hundreds all over the world, with an ever-increasing customer base and multiple titles. CEO Hilmar V. Pétursson and his dedicated team have built a company that Novator and its partners are proud to hand over to Pearl Abyss and we wish them the best of luck in their future ventures.”

Pearl Abyss first launched its open-world MMORPG, Black Desert Online, in Korea in 2014. The game has received critical acclaim for its advanced graphics, seamless world, large-scale castle sieges and action-based combat system. Since Pearl Abyss’ initial public offering in 2017, the company has worked to secure competitive global IPs, such as EVE Online, through strategic investments and M&A activity.

Pearl Abyss saw record-high sales in the first half of 2018, following the launch of Black Desert Mobile in Korea. The company is looking forward to another strong year in 2019 with EVE Online and the upcoming global launch of Black Desert Mobile.

Deutsche Bank is acting as financial advisor to Pearl Abyss, and Kim & Chang is providing legal counsel. The Raine Group is acting as financial advisor to CCP Games, and White & Case LLP and LOGOS are providing legal counsel.

About Black Desert Online
Black Desert Online is an open-world action MMORPG with cutting-edge visuals and skill-based combat that redefines the way we see the genre. Black Desert Online has the most fully developed character customization system of any game that is currently on the market. This feature allows users to break out of the norm and make unique characters that truly represent each and every player. Its intuitive controls, beautifully designed world and extensive lore will excite both newcomers and veterans of MMO games and action RPGs in general. The game has been successfully launched in over 150 countries, is available in 12 languages and has more than 10 million registered users. The mobile and console versions are scheduled to launch globally in 2018. For more information about Black Desert Online, go to https://www.pearlabyss.com

1. Nick

Ok, while this could potentially be a good thing it really worries me that the buyer is not one of the huge companies out there. By this I mean if Pearl Abyss begins to have issues a year or two down the line they are not as invested in EVE as CCP itself is. When EVE is your sole means of revenue it “inspires” innovation, whereas when its just an auxiliary revenue source and the core business begins to suffer, you look to sell it off or just shut it down. Pearl abyss is not itself nearly financially stable as other larger companies, so this could put EVE online in much more danger than its ever been in before. However, EVE’s current investors are happy because they are getting their money out safely.

September 6, 2018 at 15:51 Reply
    1. abc123

>>>>>> However, EVE’s current investors are happy because they are getting their money out safely.<<<<<<

DING DING DING DING!!!!!!! And now the fat lady is about to sing!

September 11, 2018 at 14:54 Reply
  2. hmm

R.I.P Eve…

September 6, 2018 at 15:54 Reply
  3. Truth

You could have arguee that Eve is currently pay-to-win.

Now it will be undeniable.

September 6, 2018 at 16:40 Reply
  4. Bangas N'mash

My chrystal ball claims busy days ahead for ebay as doomsayers start liquidating their accounts 😀

September 6, 2018 at 18:26 Reply
  5. they sold us

what a sad day 🙁

September 6, 2018 at 19:51 Reply
  6. Doofius

Sweet now I’ll be able to put neko ears on my avatar

September 6, 2018 at 22:11 Reply
  7. jnoone

good for ccp. their long term investment paid off. will pearl abyss do right by long term eve players? will there continue to be content updates? or will eve languish? time will tell….

September 7, 2018 at 00:58 Reply
  8. Imp

Seems that with emphasis on seamless world transition and advanced graphics, CCP has taken notice of Star Citizen. It would not surprise me to see CCP chase Star Citizen with this new capital and tech investment; and I wouldn’t doubt CCP to put a more complete game out there first – seeing as how all of the infrastructure is already there.

September 7, 2018 at 03:01 Reply
    1. CB

lol Star Citizen? You mean Scam Citizen right?
      Don’t make laugh. That piece of shit has been in development for almost a decade and almost everything still has a bug. They have not been able to release anything meaningful and its the most BORING game ever.

September 7, 2018 at 12:43 Reply
      1. mm

well, if you look at it another way… eve online which was once rocking, is now dead o_O So maybe now Boring SC can become interesting in the future, yeah? ^_^ Or maybe you would enjoy having neko ears on your avatar, in that case dismiss my comment 😛

October 2, 2018 at 02:04 Reply
  9. AFK

I mean, who gives a shit? Since Fozziesov and Phoebe this game has been a lifeless husk of its former self. The worst thing PA can do is continue the decline already in progress.

September 7, 2018 at 13:10 Reply
  10. Paul

So… the Abyss expansion had a hidden meaning after all 😛

September 7, 2018 at 13:44 Reply
  11. Seb

This is utter bull jizz. I cany belive this is happening. Pearl abyss will ruin EVE. Last person out hit the lights. Ill be on the tangled shore.

September 8, 2018 at 02:27 Reply
  12. Seb

This is utter bull jizz. I cant belive this is happening. Pearl abyss will ruin EVE. Last person out hit the lights. Ill be on the tangled shore.

September 8, 2018 at 02:30 Reply
  13. sad

It’s dead Jim 🙁

September 8, 2018 at 06:29 Reply
  14. GA

At last eve online project will be nullified. So be it.
    Prepare ypurself for eve black desert.

September 8, 2018 at 15:31 Reply
  15. Machinecode

I followed Black Desert online before its release. I own it and have played it. All I can say is:

RIP EvE Online 2003-2018

It was a fun ride. I wonder who’s going to develop the spiritual successor?

September 10, 2018 at 20:05 Reply
    1. truthmonger

Hopefully ANYONE but CCP. Black Pearl can’t kill EVE because CCP already did it.

September 23, 2018 at 08:33 Reply
  16. Eve Online Fan

I want to know who at CCP decided to go with this course of action. Big mistake in my opinion.

September 11, 2018 at 13:57 Reply
  17. Pend

Finding it difficult to recall a game that got bought out, then went on to be bigger and better than ever.

Constant game balancing and rule changes since 2009 (when I started), plus lots of snake oil promises (such as Walking in Stations, planet battles). It’s definitely not the game I originally signed up to play.

Damage from ship / structure collisions? Nope.

So I’ll stay Alpha and enjoy the graphics. That’s about it.

September 13, 2018 at 17:15 Reply
  18. AJ Osiris

I was expecting a fancy market history for EVE, showing the peak game offers, as well as the coinciding game changes and/or events taking place during those times.
    Now, at the very least, a simple statement of future intentions, or a notification of who, or what entity is going to have this authority.
    And if we are really lucky, we might even have a Real Option for once, to get our new investor to actually hear some simple genius from those of us who have been on EVE for a long time.
    Example – Ask us what we wish we could buy on the store, like a new collectible ship model of our choice, with or without USB hub built in. And for the first time ever, perhaps we could be asked what we would like to be able to purchase for a ship Skin, instead of just more fugly contrasting colors. This could go on for a long time…

September 14, 2018 at 16:55 Reply
  19. Oinker

Isn’t Black Desert THE MOST grindy game ever recorded throughout the entire history of MMO’s ?

September 22, 2018 at 11:54 Reply
  20. Godsoul

LOL!! A long time coming and it shows CCP to be the liars that they are, inflating their sub numbers and using every other sort of deception to keep going. Half the accounts are bots, but do they care? Of course not, because its all about the bottom line. CCP are the pimps and pushers of the MMO world and EVE is their seedy back ally. EVE Online has been ruining the space sim MMO genre for 15 years now and I can’t WAIT to see it go down in flames! Even if all we get instead is pure P2W at least its likely to have consensual PVP, a better UI and actual content, NONE of which you get with EVE Awfuline.

September 23, 2018 at 08:41 Reply
  21. Nuke CCP

Sold all my chars 4 months ago :)))) fuck ccp and eve, now it will be pedo coseplay 🙂

September 25, 2018 at 06:22 Reply
  22. I outlined about that merger a while ago (when ccp were still not telling the world about it!), and now there are more things that ccp did not reveal in the relative articles (like where will fanfest be held? are there going to be space dragons or other fruity space manga fantasy things now that eve has gone to the east?) No racism intended. If you did not enjoy the f2p coming to the game, then consider moving to another scifi mmo right away, because this was the crucial blow to the gut of eve online. Alike when they allowed their IP (the venture) be ‘stolen’ into SC and didn’t care about it. Could it be that ccp walking out on you (remember A. Nordgren recent departure) or could it be they were hinting us where to go? The next ten years about ‘Eve Down The Line’ is about morphing the game into something that aligns less to the west and more to the east. That said, you can wait while wasting time, money, and hope; or you can gain mileage into Star Citizen (which btw, has received CCP’s blessing to carry on!) or alike minded scifi. Either way neither Mittens, nor Hilmar, can support you into that future. If it were needed, as always, I would recommend that ‘there’s more to life than eve down the line’.

October 2, 2018 at 01:56 Reply
  23. I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post
    is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my difficulty.
    You’re wonderful! Thanks!

October 4, 2018 at 18:49 Reply
  24. Greetings! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting
    a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us
    beneficial information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

October 6, 2018 at 00:00 Reply
  25. When someone writes an article he/she retains the plan of a user in his/her brain that how a user can understand it.
    Therefore that’s why this article is perfect.
    Thanks!

October 8, 2018 at 11:04 Reply
  26. Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?
    I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems
    with hackers and I’m looking at options for
    another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the
    direction of a good platform.

October 9, 2018 at 15:55 Reply
  27. Some faculties make this a two-stage course of.

October 9, 2018 at 22:24 Reply
  28. Like!! I blog quite often and I genuinely thank you for your information. The article has truly peaked my interest.

October 15, 2018 at 17:54 Reply
  29. The mainstage comes after Acting Courses.

October 18, 2018 at 15:55 Reply
  30. I just couldn’t go away your site before suggesting that I really enjoyed the usual info an individual provide
    in your visitors? Is gonna be again steadily in order to check up on new posts

November 2, 2018 at 16:42 Reply
  31. Excellent post however , I was wondering if you could write
    a litte more on this subject? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a
    little bit more. Kudos!