Comments

Have you ever noticed the large numbers of military people that play EVE Online? Or the seemingly high numbers of people with IT backgrounds? As a military Vet myself I have always been pleasantly surprised by the number of fellow military men and woman that play the game. Then after over a year of playing the game I realised this was not coincidental that I kept seeing fellow military people in the game. EVE Online clearly attracts people with a certain mindset.

CCP has even declared that they are seeking players that are capable of solving complex problems. Which is why men and woman with IT backgrounds find EVE appealing just as Military members that are trained to adapt and overcome multiple different obstacles. EVE online takes discipline and patience to play. It isn’t a quick grind to level up characters but a slow and steady race.

Before the creation of skill injectors players had to wait for skills to level up. For many players we still do this today which requires a tremendous amounts of patience. Patience that transcends just waiting for skills to level. Patience is required for when to cloak or de-cloak on a target. Patience is needed to warp to target or retreat. This all requires discipline.

Players have to discipline themselves to always check Intel channels if they are ratting or mining or when they are setting up ambushes. Discipline is required in fleets to allow the alpha strikes to be so much more effective. It is the personal discipline of pilots to stay anchored to the Fleet Commander instead of drifting away to only be targeted easier by the enemy.

Age appears to be another factor as the average EVE player seems to be an older gentlemen or lady. Not the average middle schooler that hits buttons and sees shiny lights on the screen. They are able to solve problems and quickly verse with groups from around the world. How else could people from all over the globe be able to swiftly communicate with each other without the educated older players adapt at translations and people skills to pull this off.

It takes a mature group of individuals as well to organise fleets, ship doctrines, Alliances and Coalitions between thousands of players if not tens of thousands. No other game on earth can claim the unique complexity and steep learning curve that EVE Online presents to the average gamer.

So now reader try talking to your fellow corp mates and see truly how many IT and Military guys you have in your midst. You may be more surprised than I was when I first started down that path.

Featured image credit: Razorien

1. Manny_theMiner

A better breed of nerd…

May 18, 2018 at 19:06 Reply
  2. JOHN SMITH

It doesn’t just take people to solve “complex problems”. Also people that like to grief others, and other bottom of the barrel narcissistic personalities. As well as people with a superiority complex and no lives. You forgot to mention the bad traits of these players you like to fluff up.

May 18, 2018 at 22:49 Reply
    1. Jane Doe

I always wondered why I liked this game so much… I’m a narcissist.

Thanks John!

I hope to see you in New Eden. Of course, with such a unique name, I may have some difficulty finding you.

May 18, 2018 at 23:24 Reply
      1. JOHN SMITH

Oh Jane, it only took about a weeks worth of Jita idiots and scammers to turn me off that lame game forever. Hopefully you’ll come around someday. It takes someone seriously touched in the head to find it entertaining.

May 19, 2018 at 00:13 Reply
        1. Thurifer Censer

Well there is is your problem right there…I played this game for 9 months before I ever bothered to go to Jita…and when I did I certainly wasn’t stupid enough to pay any attention to the garbage in local.

May 19, 2018 at 03:44 Reply
          1. That Guy

I like that the guy who ‘doesn’t play’ but still reads the games news media and gets triggered enough to REEE post when someone has something semi-positive to say.

May 19, 2018 at 11:51
        2. Jane Doe

If I ever “come around” will you make room for me in your safe place and share the teet? Cripes…

May 19, 2018 at 14:30 Reply
  3. Gino

TIL only old military and IT people play eve. Space nerds shall rage in unison. Spreadsheet warriors will revolt in glorious graphs of nothingness. And let us all not forget the infamous sociopaths who will pick this article apart with the cunning linguist of 16 Shakespear

May 20, 2018 at 06:38 Reply
    1. Concerned Citizen

And let us not forget the annoying lawyers who will pick apart our statements and representations, such as when others say “Shakespear” instead of “Shakespeare”, and then round it off with an argument as Devil’s advocate by saying that the spelling has varied widely throughout history, only to counter themselves by a final appeal to the black letter of the law of language which has now clearly standardized the latter spelling.

May 22, 2018 at 03:36 Reply
  4. Tiberius Gaius

So a week of Jita idiots, which tells me probably around 4 days. Such a short period to have such a vehement take on a pretty good game. Albeit it has it’s shortcomings and challenges, but I think you took a short cut to thinking by having the opinion you do when you only saw 1 week and a really crappy week if you stayed in or around Jita. Toughen up snowflake…..SFC USA (retired)

May 20, 2018 at 16:29 Reply
  5. Edatakimasu

Honestly, it’s mostly BS. The same way that everyone responds to someone insulting their mother by saying “My mom’s dead…” It’s just people online grasping at ways to make their opinions seem more valid or important, or to justify some otherwise unacceptable behavior. Anything someone tells you about their military career in order to try to gain ground in an argument online is about as trustworthy as an ISK doubling post from Jita.

June 2, 2018 at 05:47 Reply