Comments

Hyperion deployed yesterday and sadly the Hyperion Battleship does not generate its own Wormholes as I was led to believe. Which is a serious bummer. Another bummer is the transparent frills on the Thrasher and Cyclone models. I was hoping CCP learned their lesson with the Vagabond Frill Me Campaign and would stop chopping frills off our beloved ship models. Turns out this latest incarnation is nothing more than a patch bug. So look for the wingy bits to return soon™.

Something that may not return so soon is your overview. If you happened to patch early or missed the advice, you may have doomed your overview yesterday. As you may or may not be aware, one of the new things is the ability to share overview settings with other players. However, if you already have yours set-up and you logged in yesterday without touching it – you may log back in with it all mysteriously vanished.

The fix is simple and ludicrous all at the same time. Remove something, like Gates, from your overview and then put them back. Apparently this solves that bug.

I didn’t have long to play yesterday, but I did try sharing my overview with someone and it didn’t work. Obviously I need to take a harder look at how that new feature works, or doesn’t work.

Hyperion might not have a lot to do with or impact on my own play style, which is fine, not all the patches have to be about me – but it does bring along some much needed changes, updates and whatnots. This is the third of these new breed patches and so far CCP has managed to make each of them rather interesting and meaningful.

———————————————

And now for the haircut.

Straight up. As much as I despise ECM or WCS, I in no way advocate for their banishment from the game. I would like to see projected ECM limited to Null Space and WCS operational only on Industrial and Transport ships. That is my personal belief on those modules. I will always believe that and will continue to advocate for those changes. They’ll probably never happen.

When it comes to T3s I also am not advocating for their banishment. I personally believe that their inclusion on kill-mails when boosting one or more of the involved combatants would be enough to effectively nerf their use – without having to solve this apparently unsolvable problem of having them on-grid. Solo l33t pilots who use multiple link boosts would no longer get credit for solo kills when obviously they are not actually fighting solo. The fact that this is still a thing is one of the single dumbest parts of PvP in Eve right now. And large fleets who use boosts effectively wouldn’t care as much about them showing up on kms.

That is an easy fix to a rather complicated problem.

Right now, if you fly thru Low Sec as much as I do, you’ll soon notice that almost every system with anyone in it – also has a Legion, or a Loki, or a Tengu, or a Proteus on scan. It is rare to find a system with people in it that does not have a boosting ship on grid somewhere. This is just silliness.

As a leader of an Alliance and generally all-around awesome supporter of Eve and the community I must also admit that adding Link Boosters to kill-mails is not enough. As much as I loathe ECM and WCS at least those ships have to be on-grid with us. They are risking something. The T3 link booster is essentially risking nothing. And that is, in my humble opinion, anti-Eve.

Either put the damn things on-grid with us or give us the tools to find them and kill them. Right now, and believe me we’ve tried everything, it is essentially impossible to catch and punish them. Most boosting alts are positive or neutral sec status and can sit on gates, stations, and other public spaces with impunity. If they are in space they can cloak or use their natural in-bred resistances to probes. Or, you know, just be smart. Barring a stupid accident or mis-click, they are virtually invulnerable.

This is yet another example of a mechanic that might make some sense in Null Space, being totally subverted and exploited in HS and LS. The knowledge of this invulnerability has warped and tilted the op so far in the boosters favor that it has become commonplace. This needs to change for the long-term survival of Eve in my opinion.

If I am growing tired of it, then we are in some serious trouble.

Put them on kill-mails, bring them on-grid, or give me the tools I need to catch them with reasonable proficiency.

What are your thoughts?

Rixx Javix

Rixx Javix is a null and low sec PVPer. His blog can be found here.

1. abc

Stop whining and get yourself a boost alt ffs…

August 27, 2014 at 17:29 Reply
    1. trueheroicelitesolosamurai

This is exactly the problem in a nutshell.

August 27, 2014 at 17:54 Reply
      1. orly?

You, too can pay to win.

Hint. Don’t make it more complicated, CCP – make it simpler. YES for simple minded people like me who’d like (EEEK!) to straight up fight someone at least once before the TQ is relegated to the recycle bin…

August 27, 2014 at 18:26 Reply
        1. Clearly Stupid

Pay to win? You noobs that cry about link alts are pathetic, I’m sure you are the same guys that cry when someone brings a friend when you wanted a easy kill or brings a falcon/griffin or whatever when you want to gank their fleet, its all valid game mechanics if you are to poor to afford your own then fine, but don’t hate on the clever people for having a good enough job to be able to afford two accounts and the intelligence to be able to duel box.

Learn to EvE or go back to WoW.

Edit: EvE isn’t meant to be fair, its meant to be harsh and hard, adapt or die.

August 27, 2014 at 19:22 Reply
          1. Slevin-Kelevra

Contrary to your very self describing name I generally agree with most of the nonsense you come up with, it’s better to be honest and open then whine about something you don’t like without ever making a point of it.

Although today I have to say I disagree with you. Boosting is op, it’s not necessarily bad but it is over powered. People pride themselves on solo Pvp and I agree that if a booster is used the killmail should reflect that the kill was not solo, as it is infact the act of a two man fleet both contributing to the killing of a single person (assuming the loser did not have boosts).

My point is don’t get rid of em, don’t even nerf em, just reflect that they were evolved in the kill.

August 27, 2014 at 19:50
          2. rixxjavix

Well said Murdoch. Always refreshing to see actual reading comprehension in EN24 comments.

August 27, 2014 at 21:13
          3. Clearly Stupid

Why should the killmail reflect it though? does a killmail reflect the triage on field? the logi on field? No it doesn’t, killmails reflect those that physically effect the outcome of the fight, be it ewar dps or drones.

Lets takes this one further, say someone is in a fleet yet solo’s a ship away from the main action, as he is in fleet, he is getting bonuses albeit passive bonuses from his squad commander, wing commander and fleet command positions, there isn’t a link ship in sight and you are saying all these should be on the kill too?

Its a stupid idea, that only the weak and needy call for, only the epeen solo pvpers cry for links on losses to try and justify the fact that they lost, because god knows Rixx and the rest of the failcake “SOLO” crowd can’t lose a fight just because they are shit, it has to be links.

Grow up and stop your whining, it ain’t gonna happen so carry on crying but do it quieter.

August 27, 2014 at 22:41
          4. orly?

Noob? LOL – OK first I didn’t start with a personal attack but that seems to be your game. Fine by me but also completely irrelevant. You’re not the first person to assume that a differing opinion means a new player. Although common, this assumption clearly illustrates the difference between those who have character and those who are characters.

There are plenty of old hats who’d like to see boosts in general either go away or be modified heavily. An idea I’ve heard is boost modules always provide a benefit but the full benefit we see now is only possible on grid (lower strength off-grid) and decloaked.

August 27, 2014 at 20:38
  2. Oddsodz

Finally, Somebody who gets it. This “PAY TO WIN” off grid boosting is fucking is why I will not go out solo roaming. Soon as I get a snuff off an “OFF GRID BOOSTER” I say fuck that and go,. I can probe them. But then how I am I going to engage them? I am in a fight already. Cant get to the LINKS if I am in a fight on the other side of the system. CCP Soundwave said at the Alliance Tournament 3 or maybe now 4 YEARS ago that the “OFF GRID BOOSTING” was stupid and needs to be got rid off. 3 Fucking years I have been waiting. And all I get from the DEVs is we can’t change it as it will fuck up the “FLEET mechanics”. WELL NEWS FUCKING FLASH. IT FUCKED ALREADY DUE TO OFF GRID BOOSTING.

August 27, 2014 at 17:36 Reply
    1. somedude

while i agree that there are alot of big problems wich have been ignored for to long i dont get it why people start whining now that ccp finaly gets into gear , hyperion was a summer patch in terms of made when alot of devs had holidays thats why its not that conetnt heavy.
      if you beared with eve in the “bad times” you might as well wait just a bit longer to see if it gets better

August 27, 2014 at 18:47 Reply
      1. WhoB

What would help is if CCP tells us in a proper dev blog about how they intend to fix these issues. Are there any plans? Are they even paying attention?

I think it would help a lot if CCP communicated their view and possible progress towards a solution in dev blogs. Listening isn’t good enough, there needs to be a response to and they fail at that.

Right now dev blogs are pretty much just update notices.

August 27, 2014 at 19:50 Reply
    2. Clearly Stupid

Read above you whinny little poor

August 27, 2014 at 19:23 Reply
    3. Lee Thrace

Pay to win? I trained my own off grid links, and that train is a bitch. Also, I am just a lowly FW pilot sir.

August 27, 2014 at 20:35 Reply
      1. Oddsodz

But that Link alt is on a 2nd account. So that means you have that account subbed or use plex to PAY for it (so you are somebody is paying for it). To me that is PAY TO WIN with no real risk.

August 27, 2014 at 21:40 Reply
        1. Lee Thrace

Wow, so you’re saying that if I pay for a second account with plex that I bought using Isk, that someone else bought using money I am paying to play? That is the dumbest comment I’ve read so far in this thread.

August 27, 2014 at 21:44 Reply
          1. Oddsodz

Well did you BUY the PLEX from CCP yourself? YES/NO/MAYBE, You most likely got the PLEX with ISK in game. But somebody who plays EVE did buy a PLEX from CCP and put it on the in game market for you to buy the PLEX. You do know how PLEX enters the game right? If you are too dumb to see that somebody has to pay CCP to get that PLEX into the game, Well I just don’t know what to say apart from you are really REALLY DUMB. Off Grid Boosting is a no risk PAY to WIN system that needs to die in a fire. All Boosting ships should be on grid to BOOST the fleet.

August 27, 2014 at 22:00
          2. Lee Thrace

You have to be trolling. Your logic would imply that a person in any chain of production is responsible for THE WHOLE CHAIN OF PRODUCTION.

August 27, 2014 at 22:04
    4. Jaime Gomes

Boost accounts/alts generate a very sweet revenue for CCP. Your wish will never be true and no one should listen to what Soundwave says, or any of the devs…..

August 27, 2014 at 20:52 Reply
  3. Red Orchestra

Offgrid boosting will not vanish until the grid itself will not be solved. Everyone in eve sooner or later encounters this amazing bug when you be 10km from other ship but unable to see it on overview due to grid bug. This bug exists for years and CCP fails to fix it so far.

August 27, 2014 at 17:39 Reply
  4. Lee Thrace

We should also add a solo pilots implants and drugs to KMs too.

“Put them on kill-mails, bring them on-grid, or give me the tools I need to catch them with reasonable proficiency”

Probes are real. Your inability to use them is your problem.

August 27, 2014 at 17:52 Reply
    1. orly?

How many times have you successfully probed down, warped to, pointed and destroyed a boosting ship while your fleet was involved in small (not TIDI-size) gang brawling somewhere? Or – same thing when you were solo roaming, jumped into a system, saw an available GF and went for it…

New rule. Only take solo fights when you and your foe are the only pilots in local. It’s the only way to be sure and even then boosts can jump in late and be a deciding factor.

August 27, 2014 at 18:24 Reply
      1. Lee Thrace

With the new interceptor changes it’s very easy. I’ve done it in fleets, and I’ve had it done to me while I was soloing.

Edit: And I am bad at this game.
        Edit 2: Is it impossible for many of you to realize that boosts are often used by pilots who fight outnumbered?

August 27, 2014 at 18:34 Reply
        1. fermaguel

yes, often used by those who are outnumbered, also often used by those who already have superior numbers, and also ALWAYS used by anyone whos “solo pvping”. you know, except for new players, they dotn have access to a boosting alt, but who cares, they dont matter, im sure people will keep buying more than enough alts that getting actual new people involved in FUN pvp, an by extension extending a sub, isnt important

August 27, 2014 at 19:06 Reply
          1. Lee Thrace

I keep forgetting that there shouldn’t be any advantage to accumulating SP. Everyone should be able to do exactly the same things everyone else can do, and numbers alone should determine the outcome of a fight.

We should also remove all modules other than t1 modules.

August 27, 2014 at 19:09
          2. Clearly Stupid

Its not often i agree with you but you are right in every sentence, this guy is clearly a noob, the only people that complain about links are those too poor to afford a second account or to stupid to duel box.

August 27, 2014 at 19:25
          3. Lee Thrace

I usually find my thoughts to be repugnant after a few moments as well =)

August 27, 2014 at 19:37
          4. rixxjavix

Six year veteran. I’m the CEO of a 200+ pirate corporation and a 400+ player Alliance. I can be found in the Black Rise region currently and would be more than happy to introduce you to my noob autocannons should you wish to debate in person. Feel free to bring your link alt, and once we are engaged I will bring a few friends along to ensure you explode nicely.

August 27, 2014 at 20:07
          5. Clearly Stupid

Lol I’ve flown around blackrise and placid for years and have no doubt had many run ins with you, certainly i’ve killed and been killed by your corp before, although i cant say i remember you.

I do know your guys are quite blobby so i tend to be a little careful round them, but i suppse where skill lacks numbers suffice.

August 27, 2014 at 20:13
          6. rixxjavix

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

August 27, 2014 at 21:11
          7. Clearly Stupid

Ok champ, but please explain how you came to that assumption? Because i haven’t heard of you or because your corps known for being blobbers?

August 27, 2014 at 22:32
          8. rixxjavix

I’ve never heard of you either. But you are entitled to your opinion, if an 85% solo rate makes us blobbers then more power to you. Personally I believe it means you have no idea what you are talking about.

August 27, 2014 at 22:46
          9. Clearly Stupid

I simply say what i see, your corp have a reputation for being blobbers hence why i type it, but you still haven’t given a good reason why links should be on losses other then that you want them there.

In all honesty you just look like you’ve lost another shit fit frig and are crying over it, it must be links because I’m great.

August 27, 2014 at 22:51
          10. rixxjavix

I’ll use small words. A solo kill, that is when two spaceships fight each other, is not a solo kill if one of (or both even) ships are using Boosts given to them by another ship. All other forms of assistance, that means help, must be on grid – ECM, Logi, etc. (Those are common Eve terms) Now, while having the Booster on-grid would be awesome, I’d be fine with them simply showing on the kill-mail. Then, a kill would actually show the two ships used to fight instead of just the one. This would be accurate and has nothing to do with being fair, unfair, elite, or any other bs you want to attach to it.

Other people have tried to attach Logi to this argument. I have not. I have nothing against Logi showing on kms, but I can see both sides of that argument. Likewise, implants and drugs no not need to be shown as they are part of the player flying the ship and not another entirely other ship.

It is, again only in my opinion, an argument that is impossible to disagree with. Hiding boosts is a security blanket for some people. And like any five year old, they will cry and cry when you try to take it away from them.

That is as simple and easy to understand as I can make it.

August 28, 2014 at 00:06
          11. Clearly Stupid

First off thats quite rude butI fully understand that you are crying for links to be shown, but still there is no reason you have given for the fact that they should be on other then YOU want them on killmails, the fact there is another ship in fleet is irrelevant, does the rest of a fleet get on killmails if they provided a warp in for a kill? no, they are helping the kill so why shouldn’t they be? surely that means that if you are in a fleet everyone in your fleet should be on the mail not simply those that shot the target?

The only people that cry about these are the Bushido faggot solo players like yourself, the so called “Elite pvper” no one else gives a flying fuck, the people that physically engage in combat are the ones that show on killmails, the people that activate a mod against another player get on the mail, not someone sat 50au away not contributing, this would never work and never be implemented, so stop crying and accept your losses like the rest of eve.

August 28, 2014 at 04:42
          12. truesolo

“Edit: a solo kill is when one person is on the killmail, irrelevant of how many people are in fleet or contributed, this has always been the case and will always be the case, get over it.”

I dont know in what eve YOU live, but this has never ever been the definition of solo in the EVE i am playing. Solo is when you are on your own. One ship, one pilot, no logi, no links. And a significant amount of all solo kills have some shit on them, like rats, someone who dealt damage 10 minutes ago and they still are solo kills, while many other kills with only one guy on it aren’t solo kills, just because the victim jumped system right before its end and one guy was able to finish him off. The thing you describe is the statistic of “only one guy on the killmail” killboards use, but killboards are only a platform to generate rough stats you know.

So well, no, solo kills are not “killmails with one guy on it”, solo kills are “kills made when you are solo”. Real solo. Not the fake solo where you hide your links somewhere else in the system.

August 28, 2014 at 09:50
          13. rixxjavix

I like this truesolo person. Well said.

August 28, 2014 at 11:09
        2. orly?

You probed out un-probable (save with near perfect skills, bonused ship and implants) boosting ships in an interceptor? GJ

I realize they’re not all set up this way but for the most part I find they are.

August 27, 2014 at 20:12 Reply
          1. Clearly Stupid

Nothing in unprobable

August 27, 2014 at 20:13
          2. orly?

I didn’t say it was un-probable. But probed it down with an interceptor? Good story…. that or someone’s boosting fit needs attention (or possibly is just a disposable BC – I’m seeing more of this now).

August 27, 2014 at 20:18
          3. Lee Thrace

most solo pvper’s fit a rack of links with tons of command processors. You rarely see “perfectly fit link ships” outside of fleet combat where the alliance refuses to reimburse ships that don’t match their SRP fits.

August 27, 2014 at 20:22
          4. Clearly Stupid

If its not unprobable, then probe and kill it? job done, it really is just people laziness that makes this a problem, they can be probed, you don’t even need perfect skill any more, they released the mod that increases your probe strength so there is no need for the virtue set, just a decent prober.

August 27, 2014 at 20:23
          5. Lee Thrace

Alternative method: Prober drops probes, prober cloaks, prober probes, prober warps to Link ship, and then the prober decloaks and tackles Link ship. You can use a t3 or variety of other ships to do this…

August 27, 2014 at 20:20
          6. Clearly Stupid

To add to what you’ve replied, especially as said link ship wont have guns, point warp in fleet billion isk kill, thank you very much, these people need to stop being lazy and start trying to combat them, they have the tools just not the intelligence to use them.

August 27, 2014 at 20:25
    2. WhoB

No. There’s no good reason to do that as it’s not an additional player/account providing the benefits.

August 27, 2014 at 19:35 Reply
      1. Clearly Stupid

What does another account have to do with anything? Your implants give you a unfair advantage, they should be listed or removed from the game, drugs too.

On the loss mail the pilot should be able to see your fit, so he knows why he dies too and if he is a noob and is only able to use T1 guns your skills should drop to suit his, then there’s no SP advantage either, then gone are the days of 100 mill sp + players running around shooting frig pilots with much less SP.

In a fair world we would have a SP cap for frigates and everyone fly the same ship with the same fit, but eve isnt meant to be fair, it isnt meant to be easy, Eve is harsh young man and people will fight for every advantage they can get, adapt or fucking die.

August 27, 2014 at 19:41 Reply
        1. rixxjavix

Drugs and implants are not another ship the last time I looked. And making the clearly insane jumps in logic that you are making is not an argument. No one said anything about Eve being fair or unfair, so bringing it up as an argument only shows you have no clear reason to argue against link alts showing on kms. Which is ok, no one else does either.

August 27, 2014 at 20:04 Reply
          1. Clearly Stupid

Well then why should they?

Argue for and i will give counter argument.

August 27, 2014 at 20:06
      2. Lee Thrace

Yes, but functionally the impact is of the same kind. A new player with less resources should not be evenly matched against an older one with more resources. There are ways, numbers for instance, that new players can compete with older players, but nerfing the investment made by long time players will simply drive those players away.

August 27, 2014 at 19:43 Reply
  5. Billbo

CCP has already said the Thrasher issue is a bug and is already looking at fixing it.

August 27, 2014 at 17:57 Reply
  6. Vaximillian

So wait. They move to smaller and more frequent patches? And with a smaller patch they still bug it up? Damn son. Maybe it will take some time for the people who were making the vampire whatever game for 25 years or so to adjust to the idea of a space game. I can’t decide if CCP has a HELP WANTED sign out front or if even the higher UPS are looking for employment elsewhere by now. In any case that female dev they made the top “guy” at CCP a while back sure is starting to look like someone who was picked to “hold the bag.” I haven’t logged in in a while tell me. Is the local bugged in station still? Did they finally fix THAT bug after say 4 years?

Good points on the adding stuff to killmails. Honestly bugs are part of every MMO. It’s hard to plan for every possible event or combination of events. But some of these bugs and/or issues have been present for YEARS. Most gamers can tell when a bug is due to a legitimate issue that could not be foreseen versus something like say a graphics bug where wings are left off of a ship. Bugs like that one and the station local being bugged after YEARS just point to a lack of concern by the developing company and a general whatever it’s not important attitude. It’s not the bug. It’s the apparent attention to fixing what got broken as quickly as possible. CCP used to be AWESOME at this way back in the day. Not so much anymore.

August 27, 2014 at 18:18 Reply
  7. Vaximillian

August 27, 2014 at 18:18 Reply
    1. qwer

What station local bug? I honestly don’t know (or remember) what you are talking about.

And I really don’t know about the “CCP used to be fast fixing these bugs”. From my perspective being active from 2009, they were much slower back in the days than they are now. I got to admit that I used to play more then than now, so maybe some of that feeling is because of that. It’s almost like every time I want to play EVE there is some small patch that needs to be installed first. Thank god it’s very streamlined process nowadays.

Also with smaller expansion cycles the probability of bug is a bit higher than if all the content were released in one bigger patch, as some of the bugs would have been noticed accidentally (devs testing something different or players doing something at SiSi) before the release when there is much wait time between team developing something and it being officially released.

August 27, 2014 at 20:41 Reply
    2. Endj

I remember when CCP used to be AWESOME. A patch came and you waited a week before you could log back in. Hasn’t been like that for a while, thankfully.

August 28, 2014 at 11:01 Reply
  8. Really?

Only low level butthurt to be found on this patch…you’re not trolling hard enough CCP.

August 27, 2014 at 18:54 Reply
  9. Clearly Stupid

I’ve probed down links in the past and killed them, i’ve had my links killed, if you are too stupid to probe them down then thats your problem.

August 27, 2014 at 19:27 Reply
  10. Seraph IX Basarab

+1 for ongrid only boosts

August 27, 2014 at 19:29 Reply
    1. Clearly Stupid

I’m pretty sure its already been said they cant do it, I’m sure with the last nerf Rise said that it would need a complete rewrite of the grid mechanics and that shit would take years.

August 27, 2014 at 19:30 Reply
      1. Seraph IX Basarab

Then they better get started.

August 27, 2014 at 19:31 Reply
        1. Clearly Stupid

Fair enough, I’m sure Pos’s, corp roles and sov mechanics can wait a little longer just so links are fixed for the loud minority.

August 27, 2014 at 19:32 Reply
          1. Seraph IX Basarab

Been doing ok without that for a while now. So…yeah.

August 27, 2014 at 19:33
          2. Clearly Stupid

Plummeting subscription numbers, stale Eve and page after page of whining as well as posts written by you and your En24 ilk say a different story, lets prioritise a little, i think in the grande scheme of things offgrid links are way down on the want to do list of 99% of the playerbase.

Dont get me wrong i agree they should be on grid, i agree they are broken, but there should be a lot more fixed and redone before this is even close to being looked at.

August 27, 2014 at 19:37
          3. Seraph IX Basarab

Plummeting subscriptions have been going on and on and on since I remember. Here’s how you fix boosting. Make it a module just like the armor or shield reppers. If you want boosts, a ship has to lock you and activate a module. Each squad would need its booster in bigger fleet fights. Problem solved. Job at CCP plz.

August 27, 2014 at 19:48
          4. Clearly Stupid

Thats a terrible idea, How do you lock and activate to 255 ships in a big fight? You would be making thousands of characters and billions of SP completely redundant in one swoop,

I don’t know if you are new to pvp, but fleets normally have up to 3 people able to boost, the Fleet commander has 255 members under his boosts, this is the normal role given to your main FC, he can control warping of full fleets ect, then there is Wing commanders, there is 5 of these each giving their boosts to 5 squads of 10 players in each wing, and last but not least you have squad commanders, these are able to give boosts to 10 players each (themselves included).

If you was to make your clearly flawed idea come into play the FC would need to lock 255 players after landing on grid all while positioning himself while the wing commanders 50 and squad commanders 10 each, are you really saying this would work? or are you advocating to a complete abolishment of leadership roles altogether? Because that’s exactly what this hair brained idea would accomplish.

As for “Plummeting subscriptions have been going on and on and on since I remember” Its well documented and was often bragged about by CCP that subscriptions have been steadily rising since Eves birth and until this year that has continued, although there hasn’t been a direct release from CCP regarding the amount of subs lost we can safely say from the average online players we are well down, which again can be guessed at relating to the stagnation of nullsec, off grid links are a drop in the ocean, nothing more.

But what do I know.

August 27, 2014 at 20:08
          5. Seraph IX Basarab

Obviously my intent isn’t to keep boosting as it once was. For 255 people you would need more than just 3 ships boosting. They would be an integral part of a fleet doctrine the same as logi. It’s a whole revamp of the system.

August 27, 2014 at 20:16
          6. Clearly Stupid

So for this to work, you would need 26 people to give the full fleet bonuses, that’s 26 dedicated pilots in a fleet not shooting guns just sitting there waiting to be volleyed off the field, well at least ill be the 27th person shot rather then the first.

August 27, 2014 at 20:20
          7. Seraph IX Basarab

No not just sitting there. Does logi just sit there?

August 27, 2014 at 21:06
          8. Clearly Stupid

No, they orbit an anchor and rep, what you are suggesting is in no way as active a option as Logi, it will be lock once and orbit anchor, all the while sitting there, if you cant see that then maybe think away from whatever pve you do and take it from someone who actually pvp’s.

It’s a terrible idea.

August 27, 2014 at 22:28
          9. Seraph IX Basarab

Aside from occasional belt ratting for pirate tags i actually don’t pve. Perhaps you should focus more on the discussion rather than trying to sound clever with me.

The boosters I suggest would be support platforms like logi and they’d use modules to use their boosts. Difference would be you would need more of them to do the same thing a very few are needed for now. Not a complex concept.

August 27, 2014 at 23:30
          10. Clearly Stupid

Sorry i only assume because your idea is terrible and i just figured you have no actual pvp experience, it strikes me as poorly thought out or simply rushed into a comment.

August 28, 2014 at 04:35
          11. Seraph IX Basarab

Your understanding of the idea is terrible, not the idea itself.

August 30, 2014 at 01:49
          12. Derp

“Loud minority”

So I guess nullsec players can take their sov rebalance and shove it up their ass? After all, nullsec is a minority of players.

August 30, 2014 at 15:33
    2. Billbo

Makes no difference either way, you’d still be dunked on at the end of the day.

August 27, 2014 at 22:00 Reply
  11. WhoB

Agreed. Off-grid boosters are an issue.

But… each of them is another subscription which probably means CCP will never force them to be on-grid where they stand a good chance of being blown up. Adding whomever boosts the ‘Final blow’ dude to the killmail seems a good compromise.

August 27, 2014 at 19:30 Reply
  12. Stu Pendisdick

Force the linkers to be on-grid and at-risk like every other combat ship participating in the fight. I fail to see why this hasn’t been done, other than it is a Goon thing, and what with them having infested CCP, well………

August 27, 2014 at 19:33 Reply
    1. Clearly Stupid

I see no tin-foil here, honest gov

August 27, 2014 at 19:34 Reply
  13. Angelique Duchemin

All null fleets have boosts and so the bonuses just cancel each other out anyway but they do add a lot of extra work to the fleets.

Get rid of boosts all together until they can change it to an on-grid only feature.

August 27, 2014 at 20:03 Reply
    1. orly?

I’d love to see on-grid only but with more ships giving not just an ability to boost but some genuine bonuses as well… I assume, though this simply will not happen.

August 27, 2014 at 20:22 Reply
  14. Maciej Simm

I’d love it if links/coprocessors >significantly< raised signature radius. Doesn't nerf their effectiveness, but forces the boosting alt to pay more attention to avoid being scanned down.

August 27, 2014 at 20:42 Reply
  15. leduc

thrasher without the Frills is NO THRASHER!!!!

August 27, 2014 at 20:45 Reply
  16. Homophobic John

Man you went so so far off topic to rant about T3s it was like I almost forgot about the thrashers.

August 27, 2014 at 20:53 Reply
  17. Mark Yanning

I completely agree with Rixx. Boster ships shoul be on grid to give bonus

August 27, 2014 at 21:04 Reply
  18. leduc

I guess buffalos also complain that lions shouldn’t have fangs, but there’s a logic to how some are slower while some are faster.

Rixx, some good solo pvp tutes here:

Now, I
    do understand you’re annoyed of T3 being an advantage over non
    cloakies, but I think they bring some considerable challenge in a system
    which one should guard (eg. Provi). And a T3 booster pilot has a lot more
    skill time to go through and this is some effort already versus your no
    risk mention.

As for the tools given to you to catch them, it’s patience, it’s to learn your enemies weakness, it’s gate camps with experienced inceptors, bubbles, and obviously it is another booster T3 in your fleet for your own advantage.

Unlike the flying ponies barbie world of WoW or to-be SC or ED, Eve online has been, is, and will always be a tougher online mmo in terms of PvP. You’ll have to HTFU and adapt to it.

August 27, 2014 at 21:24 Reply
    1. rixxjavix

lolz, I love that you have no idea what you are talking about.

August 27, 2014 at 21:36 Reply
      1. leduc

owh your highness, pardon me and show me how clueless i’ve been, please.

August 27, 2014 at 22:18 Reply
        1. rixxjavix

Ok.
          1) Not annoyed
          2) I haven’t been in Provi for over three years
          3) I kill T3s all the time, that isn’t the point
          4) There are no bubbles in low sec
          5) We don’t gate camp, unlike pro pee vee peerers in null
          6) I’ve been -10 for over three years

And that was without trying hard. ie, no clue.

August 27, 2014 at 22:28 Reply
          1. leduc

lol wow. I’m amazed. I was expecting you proved me wrong based on my comment which is pro T3 cloaky boosters is ok.

fyi, and the eventuality of you having a broader mindset, I mentioned provi as I read that in your article, i mentioned annoyed cause you seem butthurt (and your 1-6 points clearly, reaffirms it.) that you’re unable to kill T3s, pro pvpers (and that’s how it’s written btw) are pro in all types of pvp and in all space secs.

oh and btw last time you killed a T3 was in your pro pvp blob back in january. that to my nooby clueless point of view, is not ‘all the time’.

meh anyways. you seem good guy, a bit of a wanabee-pro-pvper-egocentric-and-attention-seeker, but there’s room and hope for improvement. I wish you good contuation.

August 27, 2014 at 22:51
          2. rixxjavix

I’ve heard it all before m8, yours wasn’t even that good.

August 27, 2014 at 23:43
          3. leduc

meh sry m8, nvm, you’re doing a better job than I am at eve online, keep it up. my apologies if I’ve been (a bit) rude. and i hope you achieve to be a giant in the list of eve pvpers.

August 27, 2014 at 23:53
          4. leduc

my friend, I’ll give you a few clues to succeed in your endeavours, when you’ll be less arrogant.

August 28, 2014 at 06:05
          5. Billbo

Alts don’t count

August 28, 2014 at 03:05
  19. Billbo

“Rixx Javix is a null and low sec PVPer. He has seen some heavy warfare in the Providence region in the years”.

If this was truly the case then we wouldn’t be seeing so much whine about off-grid boosting now would we…..

August 27, 2014 at 21:48 Reply
    1. rixxjavix

Actually for the past three years I’ve been a -10 low sec Pirate leading a group of 200+ Pirates in one of the most active and engaged corporations in all of Eve, participating in the NEO Tournaments, starting an Alliance that numbers almost 450 players, getting the Frill back on the Vagabond, creating events like the last FFA which had over 5,000 ship explosions, writing a blog everyday that gets about 10k hits a day, and PvPing every single time I am logged on. But other than that I spend my time whining. I do enjoy cheese with it.

August 27, 2014 at 22:21 Reply
      1. Clearly Stupid

You need to get out more.

August 27, 2014 at 22:44 Reply
      2. Billbo

Leading gate camps in “Sagain” doesn’t qualify

August 27, 2014 at 23:38 Reply
      3. anon

yeah sorry dude sometimes your posts are good but this one was written by that goblin idiot and given your rubber stamp. relegate ecm to nullsec? gonna need another bucket for all those tears…

August 28, 2014 at 08:30 Reply
  20. Ivy Lash

Use a probing alt with max skills and a virtue set…

or you can complain about it

choose you’re own adventuer

August 27, 2014 at 21:50 Reply
  21. bobsunclebob

TLDR: WAHHHHHHH… WAA WAA WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

August 27, 2014 at 22:01 Reply
  22. elnator

off grid boosters are a thing…. they need to fix it so it’s easier to probe them down but… they’re a thing…. until/unless CCP gets off their ass and fixes it so they have to be on grid (or at least on an adjacent grid because grid fu) with the fleet.

August 27, 2014 at 22:30 Reply
    1. rixxjavix

Ok then, so they show on the kms. Done.

August 27, 2014 at 22:31 Reply
  23. off-grid booster

WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT? Off grid boosters are risking just as much by being undocked as any other ship, to provide boosts you have to be in space and decloaked, which means you are vulnerable to probes at a safe, or tornado alpha if you are on station or gate, added to the fact you have no tank and no way of defending yourself if caught, added to that the high cost of the ship, implants and training and plexing a links character in the first place. If you can be arsed to pay for and train a character for the best part of 1.5 years to be able to decently provide links then you do indeed have MORE ON THE LINE and AT RISK than anyone else. Most people who use links are dualboxing, so are in fact risking even more again as their attention is spread across two characters, not only are you fighting but you have an expensive, defenseless ship floating somewhere else that you have to constantly check up on. There are counters to off grid boosters just like there are counters to everything else in the game.

Also nobody would care if they appear on killmails, i would in fact like it if my links alt was credited for it’s hard work.

August 28, 2014 at 02:28 Reply
  24. Antihrist Pripravnik

My thoughts?
    If I wanted to read a rant on ECM or fleet boosters, I would go to EVE’s GD (or, rarely, to F&I). This should be a news site with interesting columns and general observations… not a place where you can post your personal rants without fear of your thread being locked in GD.

August 28, 2014 at 03:01 Reply
  25. guess

The simple answer is use COMBAT PROBES (you remember what they are right?) and scan down said boosting T3, and have several bombers/ceptors go tackle and kill it, problem solved….

The

humble opinion, anti-Eve. – See more at:
    The
    T3 link booster is essentially risking nothing. And that is, in my
    humble opinion, anti-Eve. – See more at:

August 28, 2014 at 03:16 Reply
    1. KitKat

thing is most T3 will be cloaky by the time they’ll be boosting, so combat probes will be useless. But he speaks more of it this time in his new blog followup

August 28, 2014 at 04:49 Reply
      1. Ashesofempires

You can’t boost and cloak. Links are active mods. Unless you mean they have the passive leadership bonuses at play…which isn’t the same thing.

August 28, 2014 at 21:48 Reply
      2. Shadoo`s Eyebrow`s

its easy to do send a tanky alt to get the boosters main distracted by fighting drop probes on ur main scan and grab the booster b4 he even realises ….. simples

August 29, 2014 at 07:07 Reply
    2. Purity

As far as i know, when you increase the ships sensor strength above that of your Signature Radius, you are unscannable. Unless you have maxed scanning skills, and Virtue set, i have no idea, i haven’t tried personally, but i’ve made use of the T3s in that way and tried scanning them, but that was without Virtue set.

August 28, 2014 at 06:17 Reply
      1. anon

you said said they’re unscannable, unless they’re not. good post.

August 28, 2014 at 08:28 Reply
        1. Ashesofempires

And he “has no idea.” The best arguments are the ones you admit to knowing nothing about.

August 28, 2014 at 21:47 Reply
    3. Opus Congelatio

That would involve work and effort, something poor people haven’t quite developed yet. All of these ‘boosters are unfair’ cries originate from small-gang/solo people that have had their asses handed to them by another small-gang/solo groups whom may or may not have utilized links. Individual skill and contrasting hulls don’t mean anything to these people — the dirty cheating bastards were using off-grid links and therefore P2Womgwtfanti-eve. Off-grid boosting is certainly NOT risk-inherent.

August 28, 2014 at 12:43 Reply
  27. MBSD sucks

Didn’t CCP has plans or already changed the combat probes because they could scan to good?

August 28, 2014 at 04:57 Reply
  28. Gramek McAllister

What about making Fleet Links an active module? So that Fleet boosters have to decloak to give a fleet bonus.

August 28, 2014 at 08:54 Reply
    1. Deran Francks

They already need to be uncloaked to give the bonus. But they can be made very hard to scan down…

August 28, 2014 at 12:27 Reply
    2. Sold

Links are an active module, and yes, you have to uncloak to use them. They also do not work while in warp.

Due to the way the probing formula works, having a very high sensor strength makes it harder to find them with combat probes. The easy fix is to remove sensor strength from the formula. I mean, really. Does it make sense that a ship with extremely strong sensors should be hard to find? Is a regional weather radar site harder to find than some cop’s speed radar? No. Typically bad CCP game design at work.

August 28, 2014 at 13:33 Reply
  29. Sold

Bro, TEST Predditors have been successfully blops dropping T3 boosters (we call them wizards) in HED-GP for weeks. We gotten so good at it that people don’t bring them anymore.

They are not uncatchable by any means.

August 28, 2014 at 13:31 Reply
  30. Mary Jane

The main problem is people creating alts to fly links ships and bring them to every system they jump in with their main char. Link ships provide a huge boost so do implants and boosters but you can’t do much about the last ones, can you?

I agree in some part but another it’s really easy to avoid such players. It really is…

First, you’ll see the link ship in the same system. Immediately, you should know that some guy is getting boosted by it. Second, once you fight this guy and lose, simply, add him to your contact list and never fight him again.

I really think the person who uses it is losing more fights than winning them because people simply start avoiding him/her.

Actually, cloaked ECM ships inside of a plex is far more annoying than this.

August 28, 2014 at 15:47 Reply
  31. Stellio_Cantos

Well, to give suggestions on solutions, rather than piss and moan about a blogger pissing and moaning, how about these:
    a) and most obvious, make links apply only on grid, but we’ve been asking for that for a while.
    b) When active links are on, give a penalty to scan strength to make them a bit easier to scan.
    or c) allow a ship with links active to come up as a kind of signal for ewar frigs. (recon with this ability would be a little too bananas)

Anyways, that’s by input. You may continue whining about whining.

August 29, 2014 at 17:50 Reply