Comments

Last week a small version of the following appeared on our forums and I shared it on Twitter. It caused a minor storm needless to say. As is well known, I rarely bother to look at killboards. I don’t play Eve for rankings or silly ePeen dick comparisons. I play to have fun, get into fights, and win more often than I lose. I take that effort half-seriously, and strive to do well, while not letting failure stand in my way. All of which is going extremely well by the way.

But stats do get collected. And boards fill up with tallies of past fights, regardless of how or why we play – there is nothing inherently wrong with taking some measure of pride in those accomplishments. It is possible to have it both ways, to not really care and also take pride in something.

This all stemmed from the accusation that certain people started throwing around that Stay Frosty was nothing more than a bunch of blobbers. Was this true? Did we suddenly and without my knowledge become the very thing I loathe? I’m not on-line 24/7, so anything is possible. I was determined to find out for myself.

I respect everyones chosen play-style. But the following Infographic is purpose built around my own personal assumptions regarding what exactly a Pirate Corporation is. That is why Corps are ranked, from top to bottom, on the percentage of Solo fights they’ve had over the last six months. (From October 2013 to April 2014) The second assumption is that a higher percentage of Frigate fights make you a more pirate-centric corporation and a lower percentage makes you a less pirate-centric (and more blobby, gate campy) corporation. These are not hard and fast rules, but ya gotta have something.

Sources for data are public killboards, Eve Who, Eve Census and other public access boards. There was a lot of math involved and it is possible that a few mistakes may have been made, I readily admit that. All percentages have been rounded to the nearest tenth. I have added a few Corporations, as comparison, that may not be pirate corporations.

Here then, without further disclaimer, is the Infographic:

This was done for fun by the way. I did it mainly because I was curious and wanted to see for myself. Statistics are, in many ways, bullshit of course. They don’t reflect the details, the character, the personalities, or the real meaning behind the numbers. Secondly, not everyone is intent on being great solo pilots, or corporations. There is nothing inherently wrong or correct in statistics. And I am not making any judgements by presenting this chart. In fact, I think it is pretty awesome that so many of us are relatively equal in our pursuits of the dark arts and player versus player combat in Eve. It speaks well to this game in my opinion. And I have nothing but respect for all of us that pursue this play-style.

I know many people don’t believe that, but it doesn’t change the truth.

Keep the courage.

Rixx Javix

Rixx Javix is a null and low sec PVPer. He has seen some heavy warfare in the Providence region in the years he has been playing. His blog can be found here.

1. MuckSpreader

The only two times we’ve fought Stay Frosty, we had a ragtag bunch of destroyers left from a long roam and you met us at the sun, for a laugh in a similarly stupid composition. About 3 people (from 10 either side) made it out after one of the shortest and stupidest fights I’ve ever had. More stupid fights!

May 14, 2014 at 17:03 Reply
    1. rixxjavix

Awesome to hear. Bring more fights, we always try to bring equal ships when possible.

May 14, 2014 at 19:12 Reply
      1. Take It Deep

Where do you guys live? We are always looking for more even fights.

May 15, 2014 at 23:27 Reply
  2. Marlona_Sky

Where is the graph part?

May 14, 2014 at 17:40 Reply
  3. Charlie Firpol

I wonder how we (Monkeys with Guns) made it on that list. We are no pirate alliance. We have a “do however you want” pirate policy, which means we have pirates jsut as we have guys with positive sec status.

May 14, 2014 at 18:03 Reply
    1. nijam

“We are no pirate alliance” & ” We have a “do however you want” pirate policy”

—> herp-di-derp

May 14, 2014 at 18:26 Reply
    2. rixxjavix

So do we.

May 14, 2014 at 19:11 Reply
  4. Ridlock

Good example of lowsec blob alliance is Shadow Cartel. But it has nothing to do with their killboard stats, it’s how they conduct themselves. Their MO is to sit on a titan with a blob, and watch POS/POCO timers of small corps, and gank a few BS’s, or whatever.

May 14, 2014 at 18:13 Reply
    1. rixxjavix

Which is why their solo ratio is so low. That is not their playstyle.

May 14, 2014 at 19:24 Reply
    2. Grarr Dexx

abloobloobloo

May 15, 2014 at 14:01 Reply
  5. Truth

The only 2 stats that should matter on this biased, pointless ‘infographic’ is Total kills and Kills per pilot. And you are being extremely selective by pretending to be the decider on who is and who isn’t a pirate corp.

May 14, 2014 at 18:25 Reply
    1. rixxjavix

Not at all. Feel free to run the numbers on any corp you want. This was not presented as a comprehensive list of pirate corps, only as a sampling of some of the best. Total kills and KPP are good stats, but they are also driving by two factors – size of corp/active pilots and play-style. Neither of which are exclusive to pirates.

May 14, 2014 at 19:10 Reply
  6. Eric loto

Adding a background to excel does not an info graphic make.

May 14, 2014 at 18:32 Reply
    1. shut176

what?

May 14, 2014 at 23:37 Reply
  7. Eric loto

“This all stemmed from the accusation that certain people started throwing around that Stay Frosty was nothing more than a bunch of blobbers”
    “This was done for fun by the way.”

Lol. I love when intros don’t match conclusions .

Also more than one isn’t a blob. Do the numbers again with “more than 25 on km” and it will be clear that you are blob tastic.

May 14, 2014 at 18:43 Reply
    1. rixxjavix

2.9% of our kills happen with 20+ ships.

May 14, 2014 at 19:07 Reply
      1. Eric loto

Yikes! That means 450 blobs in 6 months… if we eliminate the 12k in solo non corp activity kills we find that stay frosty gets about 2500 corp kills in this period. 450 of them being from blobs. That’s almost 20% blob!
        Given the abysmally low kpp it could be theorized that the vast majority of frosty line members are in fact, blobbers, with a few solo players boosting the KB stats.

May 14, 2014 at 19:31 Reply
        1. rixxjavix

New math? Actually our low KPP is because in October we had 146 pilots in the corp and we now have 227, but to be fair I used the same metric for everyone (current pilots), even though it made our number smaller.

That’s the kind of guy I am.

May 14, 2014 at 19:36 Reply
          1. Eric loto

New math? No, math is old. Way to dodge the facts.
            3% of 15k is 450 – those are blob kills.
            Eliminate 84% of the 15k kills – they were solo and not stay frosty ops
            So that leaves us with 2400 actual corp op kills.
            We previously determined 450 blob kills.
            This means 450 of 2400 corp kills were blob.
            Or 18.75% of all stay frosty ops.

That is blobtastic.

May 14, 2014 at 19:46
          2. rixxjavix

So you can just conveniently eliminate stats in order to make your point? Solo kills are indeed SF kills, no matter how you want to pretend they are not. Take the numbers in total, as they are, or don’t take them at all.

May 14, 2014 at 20:05
          3. Eric loto

You were the one that seperated solo kills out… I just used the numbers provided.
            I’ll put them back.
            84% solo, 3% blob, 13% gang.

Yelling faggot to only 3 out of 100 gays doesn’t prove you aren’t homophobic…

May 14, 2014 at 20:56
          4. ummmmath?

did you really try to say a corp is “blobby” and then back that statement up with a calculation that doesnt include the corps solo kills? the level of stupid you are exhibiting is off the charts.

May 14, 2014 at 22:01
          5. rixxjavix

Sigh. I suppose the next reply will be the one with the Nazi reference in it?

May 14, 2014 at 22:09
        2. david kir

That means 450 kills with 20+ ships, that’s it.
          Whether they’re FFA kills, fleet vs fleet kills, 20+n vs 20-n, 20+n vs 20+n, 20+n vs 1, et caetera.

Don’t embarass yourself.

May 14, 2014 at 20:09 Reply
  8. Senex Legio 1

EVE is a social game at its heart. For that reason I find the Solo Ratio statistic more of a negative than anything else. Surely it cannot be used to show someone is not “blobbing”. Really it shows alliances and corps that are nothing more than a name. Their people don’t work together so they will one day disappear. Some people like solo of course, and more power to them.

May 14, 2014 at 18:50 Reply
    1. rixxjavix

That is inherently wrong-headed, you’ve obviously never been in a corporation like ours before. We work together “solo” a lot and if you don’t know the difference then a comment isn’t going to teach you.

May 14, 2014 at 19:08 Reply
      1. Senex Legio 1

You missed my point entirely, but don’t worry. No comment of mine is going to teach you reading comprehension. 🙁 (this is just a response for dickish last line)

Never respond to a comment to justify your own playstyle. If just makes you look defensive. No insult was intended which you might have noticed with the last sentence in my comment.

In any event, “working together solo” means you don’t have collective goals. If you do, I would love to hear how you spin that. If you don’t have collective goals then you are individuals sharing office space. You can always talk around the water cooler, but you really aren’t an collective entity. This is the problem with 90% of EVE alliances and corps, and why most of them are terrible. Collective goals create content and content drives activity. If you cannot create goals when activity decreases. Solo players (whether or not they call themselves solo) don’t drive collective activity, so they are no use to a well run corp/alliance. In my corp, no solo players are ever admitted. They are the lone wolves that lack the play style we need to keep the whole together. The best place for them is either alone or in as you say, a corp full of the same type of people. That way, there is no expectation of collective goals and they can simply hold the same banner. So, when you say I haven’t been in a corp like yours, I wouldn’t want to be in corp like yours. It would lack that togetherness to take advantage of the sandbox. Ganking solo on gates with a sabre is not my idea of high playstyle, though I recognize it is to some people. There is more to EVe for me, but I appreciate that some people are perfectly happy to limit themselves to a small part of what is offered.

May 14, 2014 at 21:18 Reply
        1. rixxjavix

Like so many people in these comments, you are using your own experiences to define other people’s playstyle. You even admit it, you don’t allow for solo players, so solo players must be bad. This is not true at all, and in fact we share many common goals. From participation in tournaments, to sponsored events, fleet operations, and more. Just because you haven’t personally experienced this type of playstyle doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Which it does. In fact, most of the Corporations I named in the above graphic share that playstyle with us.

May 14, 2014 at 22:08 Reply
          1. Senex Legio 1

You can’t have fleet operations….you just said you are solo players. So, what you? Are you players that are solo or you players that are sometimes solo and sometimes in fleets. If the latter than then that is exactly what I think a corp should be. Your argument was based entirely on a different model though, one of complete solo play.

Also, stop reading what you want to read and read what I actually wrote. I never said solo was bad…in fact I said the opposite. I acknowledge that people like that playstyle, only that it is not for me and not for the people in my corp. I never cast a judgement on any of them. Read with an open mind, not one that searches for any comment that validates your position.

May 14, 2014 at 23:28
          2. rixxjavix

You sound mad. 84% solo is not solo all the time anywhere in the known universe. I just checked.

May 15, 2014 at 00:15
          3. Senex Legio 1

Not mad, just amused by the way people read and interpret.

As to 84%, I had no clue what corp is yours. I was only looking at the 95% corp when I made my comment, and the silliness of the statistic in general.

May 15, 2014 at 00:20
          4. ThatCapGuy

Cyno frigates don’t count as solo skill kills and neither do pos mods. Sorry sanex legio.

May 15, 2014 at 08:12
    2. Naah

Not really, from my experience solo players are one of the most socializing groups in the game. They might not be that active on a corporation level, instead most interaction takes place in a ton of channels, private and public. Most of them are filled with people you either shoot at on a regular basis or have shot at in the past. Solo PvPers are usually much less dense than your everyday “eve-is-srs-biz-player”.

May 14, 2014 at 19:09 Reply
      1. Titus Veridius

A corp that demonstrates the ability to conduct effective and skilled small gang combat, and in between has pages of solo kills is an image of a healthy corp. Corps that can only produce kills when everyone is online lack individual skill, and initiative, and tend toward blobbing their foes.

May 14, 2014 at 21:26 Reply
        1. Senex Legio 1

exactly

May 14, 2014 at 23:23 Reply
        2. Nahh

I fully agree with your first statement. I don´t see how it is relevant to my post though.

May 15, 2014 at 19:25 Reply
  9. Goonion

Pirate Corporations are for people not good enough to get into Goons. Show me how many Goon KMs you have? I didn’t think so.

May 14, 2014 at 18:54 Reply
    1. rixxjavix

A ton actually. Please feel free to look over our killboard at your own leisure, we kill goons all the time.

May 14, 2014 at 19:13 Reply
      1. Goonion

Please feel free to prove it at my leisure you scrub.

May 14, 2014 at 19:27 Reply
        1. rixxjavix

Feel free to not prove it. As far as I remember I’ve killed thousands of Goons in the last eight years.

May 14, 2014 at 19:34 Reply
        2. Waffler

We killed some Goon supers this morning bro.

May 15, 2014 at 10:03 Reply
        3. cfc bot down

faggot

May 15, 2014 at 19:15 Reply
      2. sadleric

Trrroooolll in the dungeon!

Trooooooooooooooooooooooooollll

in the dungeon!

May 15, 2014 at 22:11 Reply
        1. Bo Jangles

Thought you ought to know.

May 16, 2014 at 10:17 Reply
    2. Goon prick

You’ve got that the wrong way round, nice try troll.

May 14, 2014 at 19:18 Reply
      1. guest

To be fair, it proved to be enough to make the op reply.

May 14, 2014 at 21:41 Reply
  10. Truth

I didn’t know there was a checkbox in the game that defined your corp as a Pirate Corp.. Plz, do tell where it is!

May 14, 2014 at 19:16 Reply
    1. rixxjavix

There isn’t a check box, all corporations in Eve are defined by their own actions and the decisions made by their members. We happen to self-identify as pirates.

May 14, 2014 at 19:23 Reply
  11. Truth

Gatecamping low>hs gates.. Epic skillz brahs.. You are gods. Those unwitting noobs are quality kills. Keep it up!

May 14, 2014 at 19:17 Reply
    1. Titus Veridius

Technically, gate-camping highsec gates is one of the activities that most closely resembles historical earth piracy. It’s violent, low-risk when done correctly, profitable (since it’s low risk), and focused against targets that are unlikely to be able to defend themselves.

As much as some groups in low-sec want to style themselves as pirates, small gangs engaging everything with high skill is not very piratey. There are volumes of debates on the Eve-O forums about this.

So in affect, the description “pirate” attached to hisec entry gate camping is accurate.

May 14, 2014 at 21:23 Reply
      1. rixxjavix

No it isn’t. Just because you desperately want to justify it doesn’t make it so. I have nothing against gate camping when tactically needed, but making a living out of it is not piracy.

May 14, 2014 at 22:03 Reply
        1. GFY

Glad this article was posted. Been looking for home, and you guys were on my list, untill reading this. Not implying you might have even taken me, but I now know not to bother.

I like your style of not sweating killboards, and having fun in the game, but solo is pretty much why Im pretty bored with Eve.

Spent some months solo hunting. To me I dont really consider that piracy, because I am tracking and killing. Like a hunter would prey. Catch someone, blow up their ship, and “yay”…then rise and repeat. I dont see any purpose to it anymore. I suppose I get some ISK, but the fun is short lived, and I dont care about ISK when it really comes down to it.

While most of the fun I ever had in Eve, was hanging with guys in a gate camp, or hot dropping ratters, with complete overkill. Then soaking up the tears in local, and laughing all the way back home. I consider that piracy, because its dirty and ravenous. Also lots of fun just giving each other hell, and laughing when one of us screws up.

Stuff just isnt always as fun, without people to share the experience with. Its not about killboards, or solo ratio’s, or ISK lost. Looking at how you kind of have a hard on, for defining a certain type of playstyle as being more correct than the other. I have to wonder how serious you are, about not being serious.

Im sure you will work up a witty reply, to which I will just dismiss.

May 14, 2014 at 22:56 Reply
          1. Cambodian Red

He didn’t say it wasn’t fun. He just didn’t consider gatecamping a piratical activity. Even I thought his response made him come across as an asshole, until I read

> Im sure you will work up a witty reply, to which I will just dismiss.

May 14, 2014 at 23:19
          2. BarryFromEastEnders

Fun?! Fun!!? In my EVE. Fun … heh. Get out Janine!

May 14, 2014 at 23:54
          3. rixxjavix

No witty comeback. To each his own, I am not even trying to justify my chosen playstyle – and I’ve tried them all – over any other. I respect everyone’s right to find where they fit, what they want to do, and when they can have fun doing it.

We gate camp sometimes, we black ops sometimes, we go into WHs sometimes, we raid Null sometimes, we do anything we want sometimes. And that is the entire point. That ain’t for everyone granted. But I don’t want everyone to join us, or even to be a pirate. That wouldn’t be any fun.

May 15, 2014 at 00:03
          4. qwer

I’m intrigued.

In my own experience, gate camping and hot dropping with complete overpower are one of the most boring and not fun way of playing EVE. Yeah, gate camping can be somewhat fun first couple dozen times if the place you camp is active and you have fun company. For start, hotdropping with ridiculous overpower can be hilarious couple times too, but it very fast turns in to very dull activity, except on the targets that you have some history with.

Whereas solo pvp has been always pretty fun activity for me, though I prefer roaming with micro gang (<6), where you get best of both worlds. To me solo PVP has been always throwing isk, not never gaining it. Gaining ISK through PVP usually means boring PVP, though lately malediction roams through Deklein have proven that wrong.

May 16, 2014 at 13:55
        2. Bad at life

What makes you think you get to decide what piracy is or isn’t? Making a living by taking from others if the fucking definition of piracy you egotistical numb-nut.

May 15, 2014 at 01:01 Reply
          1. rixxjavix

The really cool part is I can decide all kinds of things all on my own, without approval of anyone, on a daily basis. It’s pretty awesome, you should try it.

May 15, 2014 at 11:15
        3. pieisalie

umm, making a living off it IS EXACTLY Piracy, most ‘piewat” corps are not making their income off of what they kill, they are pvp social clubs plain and simple. Blackbeard was in it for the money.

May 15, 2014 at 06:59 Reply
        4. Grarr Dexx

If gatecamping isn’t piracy, nothing is piracy. You’ve just proven how much of a blithering dumbass you are.

May 15, 2014 at 14:00 Reply
        5. lol

Tell that to mo0.

May 17, 2014 at 00:55 Reply
    2. Ebil Piwat

Solo gate camping empire gates in T1 frigates?

Did you bother to read the article, or do you have zero clues about aggression mechanics in Lowsec?

May 15, 2014 at 11:41 Reply
  12. BarryFromEastEnders

Excuse me, uh… there’s a couple of girls over there not drinking, so… I think you should tell them to either buy something or get out.

May 14, 2014 at 19:59 Reply
  13. heh

Gonna be honest, most of these groups, never heard of in my entire Eve career. Repo and Snigwaffe (I thought Snigwaffe was part of a coalition?) Other than that, nobody.

May 14, 2014 at 21:07 Reply
    1. rixxjavix

It is rare for someone to just come out in public and admit their ignorance, I admire that. Good for you.

May 14, 2014 at 22:01 Reply
      1. all details needed.

its not necessarily ignorance, you just may not matter to him. that is not a hit on you personally, or your corp/alliance. it is simply the way you guys operate or do not operate in the same area of eve.

May 14, 2014 at 22:22 Reply
        1. rixxjavix

Al of which is fine. I’d honestly prefer that more people hadn’t heard of me.

May 15, 2014 at 00:17 Reply
    2. ?

Snigwaffe are Goons right?

May 14, 2014 at 23:19 Reply
      1. Cambodian Red

You are on the internet. I am quite sure the time taken to Google that simple bit of information is probably less than what it took your parents to produce you.

May 14, 2014 at 23:21 Reply
  14. josephdamienfurlotte

Rixx Jarvix is also a Loot thieving Wannabe. waited in station until the capita; support arrived then undocked in a hauler and ran off with the loot.

May 15, 2014 at 00:46 Reply

lolz

May 15, 2014 at 11:14 Reply
  15. Anon

How come this graphic is different to this one? https://twitter.com/RixxJavix/status/464543739734949889/photo/1/large

How did Monkeys make any list either…

May 15, 2014 at 05:26 Reply
  16. Captain Hero

how can one find solo pvp? ,,, I would think that its not too wise to announce it in local?

May 15, 2014 at 09:13 Reply
    1. AdvisorStern

The best way is to look for the Faction Warfare systems. Take a t1 frigate into the novice complexes, after d-scanning to see what’s in the various ones and go for it. You’ll get blobbed to feck in null, even in just one frigate.

May 15, 2014 at 11:35 Reply
    2. qwer

The easiest way is to have a ship that have good chances to escape if the opponent gets backups. Then keep your roams in same area (preferably live in there) and you start to know after week or two what to expect from the regular guys and who are irregular guys with backup and who are just totally random stragglers (and those are your prime opponents)

May 16, 2014 at 00:04 Reply
  17. JIeoH Mocc

Seeing Snigg on that list under a header of Pirate Corporations saved me the time of reading this load of bull. It’s almost as if a bot pulled out some random stats off killboards, good job.

May 15, 2014 at 09:42 Reply
    1. Waffler

Waffles are a lowsec corp, we live in Kinakka so not sure why we wouldn’t be on the list when we’re topping kills.

May 15, 2014 at 10:01 Reply
      1. JIeoH Mocc

yea yea, i know all that
        Still, that’s my opinion on you as a “pirate” corp, deal with it.

May 15, 2014 at 10:05 Reply
        1. not pl

join sniggwaffe today! :3

May 15, 2014 at 23:13 Reply
  18. Snuffles

Personally im a member of Snuff box and im not surprised by these figures at all, snuff box prides itself on the fleet fights we have, taking on greater numbers n still winning, it doesn’t always end that way, and sometimes we end up being the blob. Also Frig kills can have no baring on how you don’t blob it’s not uncommon to see a small fleet of frigs going around catching 1 person and killing it, that to me still counts as a blob. But what i believe really matters is efficiency, Try pulling that figure.

May 15, 2014 at 11:20 Reply
    1. qwer

Efficiency is very bad measure in this (and generally in EVE), as if you want to be efficient you keep away doing anything risky – for example fighting outnumbered or taking any fights that you aren’t guaranteed to win.

May 15, 2014 at 23:55 Reply
  19. bittervet

Gate camping is piracy though. Piracy isn’t about having honourable solo duels in frigates, it’s about ganking and making profit from pvp.

May 17, 2014 at 00:54 Reply