So Kirith Kodachi has a remarkably well-timed blog banter out. Here it is:

Quick post. I was listening to a song and a question occurred to me. Where are the EVE heroes? Against a dark background surely all we have are anti-heroes? A lot of mockery is aimed at any who attempt to be white knights. EVE is a dark place and yet pretty much all other MMO’s try to place the player in the role of some form of hero, boosting the ego and taking the player out of the humdrum 1 in 7 billion that is RL. Why have I fitted into EVE? Did I never want to be that? So I guess my question is:

Do classic heroes exist in EVE? Is such heroism even possible in EVE? How would you go about being one without opening yourself wide open to scams? Is the nature of the game so dark that heroes can’t exist? How do you deal with that irony? What effect does this have on us and the psyche of new players coming in from other MMOs? Is it something special that we don’t have classic heroes, or should we? Are our non classic heroes more genuine?

It’s a great question and I don’t just say so because I’m talking about the villains of EVE right now. Before I really dove into the topic of EVE players behaving badly and how I think this is impacting our game long term, I had intended to write a post about the good that EVE players do. So this strikes me as a fine time to do that.

Yes, I’m going to answer this question completely unironically. There are heroes in EVE. Here are some of mine in no particular order.

EVE University. Do I need to go over the remarkable amount of good these guys do again? I think I do, at least briefly. They’re ten years old, and for all that time all they’ve tried to do is teach people how to play EVE Online. This alliance is one of the most remarkable creations in all of video gaming and we have it as part of our community. Take a moment and just think about that! I am simply in awe of all the good these guys do.

AGONY Unleashed. A very similar organization to E-UNI, I don’t suppose it’s any secret that I’m a fan. 😉 These guys have had their ups and their downs over the years, but every time they struggle they come back even stronger with one mission in life: teach basic and advanced PvP tactics to anyone who wants to learn… and have fun practicing what they teach on the side, too.

The Angel Project. One of the newer ones on this list, created in 2012 by Sindel Pellion, intended to help newbies with a few ships to get them started, and help them learn this game, build relationships, and connect with other EVE players. That this organization was started is remarkable. That it’s had success is a freakin’ miracle.

The Valhalla Project. Say what you like about the incursion community, but these guys took me in when I was lost and helped me find a purpose in the game again. This is a rest stop for wayfarers right across New Eden between careers, and a remarkable community in their own right. You can talk to ex- and current sov warriors from every alliance in the game here. It’s just a terrific, eclectic community. They keep getting better and they keep getting stronger.

The Ditanian Fleet. …but sometimes I wanted to fly an armor ship in an incursion and when I did, these guys were here for me. This is every bit as welcoming a community, every bit as fun to fly with, but sometimes tinged with that streak of aggressiveness that has been the hallmark of my own EVE play. 😉

Red Frog Freight. I try not to miss opportunities to plug the excellent service these guys provide. The fact that they make a living based on doing it is just icing on a pretty damn fine cake. Jester uses this service. You should too.

Estel Arador Corporation. These are some of the unsung heroes of the PvPers of EVE. They run a free jump clone service providing support in dozens and dozens of stations right across New Eden. And they’ve been doing it for six years now. These are some of the really unsung heroes of EVE.

People who donate to PLEX for GOOD. 190 thousand USD for aid in the Phillipines. Tens of thousands for other causes over the years. The people who give their hard-earned PLEXes to these efforts are champions. ’nuff said.

People who run EVE community fansites. Let me just say it: this shit ain’t easy, and it ain’t always fun. The rewards you get from CCP are nearly worth the value of mining veldspar for the same amount of time. And yet dozens of people provide maps, guides, tools, entertainment, advice, art, help, and communities to this little bunch of people playing with internet spaceships. I could not be prouder to count myself among them.

People who voluntarily run player events around the world. I simply can’t imagine anything less fun or more stressful than signing up to run an event for EVE players, of all people! And yet people do it, they run terrific events, and I’ve had fun at every single one of them I’ve had the pleasure to attend. Bravo!

Players who unironically start new trial account after new trial account just so they can answer questions in the EVE Newbie channel. Yes, they use it as a recruiting opportunity for their corps. I don’t care. Have you ever just sat in the newbie channel for a while and watched its ebb and flow? I’m always very impressed at the players who take it upon themselves to answer the literally thousands of questions that pop up here, many of them over and over again.

My fellow delegates on CSM8, and the delegates of past CSMs. Likewise, the intrinsic reward of this job is remarkably little for the enormously high expectations that the players and CCP put on them. If you haven’t done it, you simply cannot understand. It’s the hardest work anyone can do for EVE and I have nothing but respect for (almost) everyone who’s volunteered to do it.

And finally, the EVE developers that actually talk to and listen to EVE players. I’m not going to name names. They know who they are. You know who they are. And if I start naming names, I’m going to forget a few to my sorrow. But every time I see an EVE dev interact with the players on a one-on-one level or as a group, I’m more and more happy I play this game.

So… yeah. There are a few heroes left in EVE, no matter what the nay-sayers think. And I’ve probably forgotten a few.

It’s just a shame there aren’t more.

– Ripard Teg

If you would like to read more we invite you to visit his blog here.

1. Great blog! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am bookmarking your feeds also

July 4, 2019 at 05:49 Reply
  2. Keep functioning ,splendid job!

July 6, 2019 at 18:55 Reply
  3. I really appreciate this post. I¡¦ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thank you again

July 8, 2019 at 06:39 Reply
  4. I not to mention my buddies came looking at the good secrets and techniques located on your web blog then at once developed a horrible feeling I had not expressed respect to the site owner for them. My ladies were definitely certainly glad to study all of them and already have definitely been taking pleasure in these things. Appreciation for being quite accommodating and then for obtaining some terrific issues most people are really desperate to learn about. My very own sincere regret for not expressing gratitude to sooner.

July 8, 2019 at 06:44 Reply
  5. Thank you for every other informative blog. The place else may I am getting that type of info written in such a perfect way? I have a challenge that I’m simply now running on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such information.

July 8, 2019 at 06:49 Reply
  6. Good site! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I’m wondering how I might be notified when a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your feed which must do the trick! Have a nice day!

July 8, 2019 at 06:49 Reply
  7. I and my pals were studying the good advice found on your web site then instantly developed a horrible feeling I had not thanked the web blog owner for those strategies. My guys became so thrilled to learn them and have now very much been taking pleasure in them. We appreciate you getting indeed kind and then for making a choice on this form of fine tips most people are really wanting to discover. Our sincere regret for not expressing appreciation to sooner.

July 8, 2019 at 06:49 Reply
  8. I’ve been browsing online more than three hours these days, but I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It¡¦s beautiful price sufficient for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made excellent content as you probably did, the web might be much more helpful than ever before.

July 8, 2019 at 06:50 Reply
  9. Thank you for every other informative website. Where else could I am getting that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a challenge that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the glance out for such info.

July 8, 2019 at 06:50 Reply
  10. Well I definitely liked studying it. This article procured by you is very constructive for good planning.

July 15, 2019 at 13:59 Reply
  11. Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this website.

July 16, 2019 at 16:10 Reply
  12. Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and everything. However think about if you added some great images or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this blog could certainly be one of the greatest in its field. Wonderful blog!

July 17, 2019 at 10:34 Reply
  13. I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my problem. You’re amazing! Thanks!

July 17, 2019 at 20:15 Reply
  14. Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely wonderful. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a wonderful site.

July 18, 2019 at 08:59 Reply
  15. Every code I try either leaves a huge gap at the top of the page, or at the bottom of the page. Its absolutely that code triggering it. I’ve attempted many codes attempting to hide the blogs & prolonged network, but they all leave a white void either on top or at the bottom. Any person obtained one that doesn’t cause the white space? Or exactly how to get rid of the white void?.

July 18, 2019 at 16:40 Reply
  16. Any person obtained one that doesn’t cause the white space? Or exactly how to get rid of the white void?.

July 20, 2019 at 08:05 Reply
  17. I will immediately snatch your rss feed as I can not find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly permit me realize in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

July 22, 2019 at 09:13 Reply