Comments

2013 has been a year full of controversies among the player base both small and large and I want to wrap up my commentary on a couple of them before the year ends. With that, let’s talk about EveCorpration1231533.

You see, a few months ago the CEO of Blackwater USA Inc. — a member corp in Pandemic Legion alliance — contacted me to let me know their corp had been renamed by the EVE GM team, their name having been “deemed offensive.” Would I be willing to get involved to help them out?

Now this is a situation that CSM members dread. Other than the EULA, there’s no formal “rules briefing” that you get as a CSM member. But I was told informally by any number of people both before and after I was elected that CSM members are discouraged in the strongest possible terms from getting involved in the player petition process and anything associated with it. And after thinking about it, I decided this was a good idea. While the CSM exists to support the player base as a whole, little or no good can come from CSM members interfering in situations affecting a single customer, or a small group of customers. CCP has to be free to run their individual player relations as they see fit without showing bias or favoritism. So when individual players come to me asking me to get involved in these kinds of situations, 74 times out of 75, I have apologetically said that I cannot.

But this one cut kind of close to home.

I’ve worked with a lot of members of BUSA before when I was a member of Gentlemen’s Club alliance. More than that, I had flown with them, and knew a few of them personally. This was a situation that struck me as rather unjust, just on the facts of the case. And I’d been interested in writing a piece about how unevenly applied the GM’s policies on name impersonation are. And I’d been dying to write a piece about the transparency of this process. The situation struck me as a good opportunity to kill a lot of small birds with one stone. I could write a piece about the process without getting wrapped around the axle of this one particular case. So I went out an interviewed a number of people about the issues involved (including CCP Manifest and members of the Community team) and I wrote my piece. And I was happy to see it was well-received. It was one of those journalistic little pieces that looks easy but was much harder than it looked because it had to operate within a lot of tight constraints.

About a week after the piece went public, BUSA got their name back thanks to the intervention of senior members of the GM team and the Community team. Cooler heads prevailed in that situation and I’m really glad for it. Sometimes CCP does get it right on the second iteration after getting it wrong on the first. We as players sometimes don’t give them enough credit for that.

But the transparency/consistency issue does remain. CCP’s most recent annual stockholder briefing book includes the following text about one of their cornerstone principles, transparency:

We earn trust through honesty and openness. We are open-minded and respectful of our customers and co-workers. We confront problems directly and discuss issues in a straightforward manner.

Like many corporate mission statements, these are words that often have a lot more to do with CCP’s actions in an ideal world as opposed to the real one. As players remind CCP again and again, actions speak louder than words.

As part of the research for the original piece, I started two side bits of research:

1. I asked players for their own experiences with the renaming process; and,
  2. I sent in a petition of my own, listing 15 EVE corporations directly named after terrorist groups, criminal organizations, and real-world corporations collectively responsible for the enslavement or death of thousands of people.

What I collectively found out was that the process continues to operate on a case-by-case basis specifically without transparency. And that’s a real shame.

Lots of players sent me lots of stories about corp, alliance, and character renaming. Of course many of those were focused on individual cases that were hard to judge. But over time a pattern emerged and it was obvious that the quickest way to draw the ire of the GM team on this issue is to have a corp, alliance, or character that seems to support three things: rape, racism, or Nazi Germany. That of course is not very surprising. But issues of real world trademarks, real world criminal groups, famous in-character player names, or even the real world names of CCP employees generally draw lesser or no responses.

When the CSM met with CCP CEO Hilmar Petersson at the summer summit, I teased him that I’d encountered him in New Eden. He laughed.

As to my list of 15 corps named after terrorist groups, criminal organizations, and real-world corporations collectively responsible for the enslavement or death of thousands of people… corp and alliance names I personally found offensive? It’s been more than two months. None have been renamed.

So for the time being, the status quo remains. I’m glad that BUSA got their name back but the process that prompted them to lose it in the first place is no closer to being made more transparent.

– Ripard Teg

If you would like to read more we invite you to visit his blog here.

1. Jack

I usually like this guys peices, please replace all Glevon posts with his. Thanks in advance.

December 10, 2013 at 16:59 Reply
  2. Jack

Can I have my 5 minutes back?
    But seriously, Blackwater is a US corporation that provides security to US Embassies and private security abroad. It also is a parent organization that also helps with disaster relief. Because one of the things it does is “militaristic” that made it offensive? Or was it the USA that made it offensive? That just seems very very odd.

December 10, 2013 at 17:31 Reply
    1. Jezzz

Yes they are angels the world should really be enligheted right? Tbh I dont fucking care about hard core suppressing of terrorist, pirates and other idiot groups in the world and I dont mind US being US really… But I fucking don’t like when people pretend to be angels and moral knights either… http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/blackwater_usa/ THEY ARE MERCENAIRIES FOR THE WESTERN WORLD, lets face it… lets call it..

December 10, 2013 at 22:02 Reply
      1. GFY

you mad.

December 10, 2013 at 22:51 Reply
        1. Ciaphas Cyne

blackwater is an amoral organization. they exist to increase the financial security of its members. they are fathers and sons and brothers who all risk their lives for a higher paycheck. is that bad? is that good? or is it maybe just incredibly human. these groups have existed for eons. mercenaries. all of us have a price. most of us also have morals. for those that do not….

December 10, 2013 at 23:32 Reply
          1. GFY

To be honest, I havent watched television, or read the news in years. Blackwater could mean nothing to me. Maybe whats left in the toilet after I wait too many days to flush. Or just a name I know of some guys on Eve. Someone’s butthurt shouldnt affect everyone.

December 10, 2013 at 23:42
          2. Ciaphas Cyne

so you just wanted to make sure we all knew you didnt give a fuck?

….ok thank you!

December 10, 2013 at 23:47
          3. GFY

I said I didnt?

December 10, 2013 at 23:49
          4. Ashesofempires

Blackwater USA earned their infamy in the Iraq insurgency when a few of the security guards went and killed a number of Iraqi civilians. None of the contractors accused were ever formally charged for the killings.
            They have changed their company’s name twice in order to avoid the bad press that goes with such negative brand recognition. Why BUSA was targeted for a name change is somewhat baffling; it’s not the worst name out there by far. I think Ripard’s point is that it’s impossible to apply the naming policy evenly.
            Who decides what is good or bad? What are their decisions based on? Why is there no appeal process? Why isn’t it automated like most other good MMO’s. Most of the names that people get away with in EVE would never make it through the filters in WoW or Rift or TOR. Perhaps a better question is, why now? Why enforce this now, and not years ago before 300,000 or more people had the opportunity to name a corporation, character, or alliance something offensive.

December 11, 2013 at 06:11
          5. Hum

Do you drive a Prius?

December 11, 2013 at 00:32
          6. Ciaphas Cyne

i do. i also fucked ur mom last night

December 11, 2013 at 02:36
    2. Random Miner

most of the world does have a poor view of the US. And mercenary type organizations like blackwater (even here in the US) are looked at as evil, profiteering murderers, due to bad publicity. Plus whenever something is outsourced in war, if the company fucks it up, it ends up making ALL outsourcing companies look bad. I’m betting CCp employees are a pretty liberal bunch and have as low of an opinion of a company like blackwater as you can have.

December 13, 2013 at 07:25 Reply
  3. GFY

“I sent in a petition of my own, listing 15 EVE corporations directly
    named after terrorist groups, criminal organizations, and real-world
    corporations collectively responsible for the enslavement or death of
    thousands of people.”

That always seems like a weak way to try and solve something. Its kind of like the little kid that gets into trouble, but his excuse to mommy is “But..but..but…little Jimmy down the road walks around with his thumb in his butt also”

Just because someone else does it, doesnt make it any more right. Aside from that, Im pretty bown away that CCP would bother with Blackwater. Im sure some little bitch got blown up by them, and decided to go cry.

December 10, 2013 at 17:39 Reply
    1. G'Kar

Except the article was about consistency, not morality, but thanks for trying.

December 11, 2013 at 22:39 Reply
  4. droljica

blackwatter, jihad, osambinladen, dropingdemocracyfromabove,,, its all the same shitt

December 10, 2013 at 19:08 Reply
    1. Jezzz

well thats because you are a redneck and don’t understand better, because of that you are forgiven, continue yoru worthlessness….

December 10, 2013 at 22:06 Reply
  5. Provi Miner

Seems that is one of those “microwave” posts. In other words you wrote on this some time ago and just updated the ending (actually as I recall you blogged about the result as well). Shame so much fun stuff. BTW for the record I have found the ceptor changes you like so much to fall into three groups. A: pointless a single ceptor is pretty worthless without support comming B: agrivating kinda hard to catch a ceptor gang (this one is kind of odd in that I suspect the ceptor gang is looking for pvp but refuse to engage unless its a fairly defensless ship solo) C: kinda cool flying in hard tackling something and waiting for help to arrive is very much a new rush.

December 10, 2013 at 19:46 Reply
  6. Jeeezzz

This is just lame, I mean CCP are trying to keep IRL politics out of the game, and when a corp, US I guess, get offended by a JR GM tried to folllow the policy and you use your power to slam down on unjustice becuse CCP had not been able to stop every corp, of how many corps we have in EVE total?, who could be connected to an IRL whatever political/unethical organisation? Well thats US that the rest of the world knows, and I guess you ar US as well..? So are you proud that you used your power to get approval for another corp that could insult a part of the player base, because thats all that you achieved, and I guess your work is done now..

December 10, 2013 at 21:44 Reply
    1. vae

Is it the fact that the company is US based or that they are mercenaries that you find offensive?

December 10, 2013 at 23:09 Reply
      1. Scott Lockwood III

You fail it, where it is reading comprehension! Thank you for playing. Please do not breed.

December 10, 2013 at 23:37 Reply
  7. Ciaphas Cyne

racism in eve is as prevalent as it is in most of the gaming world. its a side effect of the demographic. Ineffectual, young, white, male youths with little real world experience and travel, and far too much pent up aggression from a life of sedentary fantasy.

anyway… As a proud joo ive made it my hobby to report every anti-Semitic corp name and player name i see. I can safely say that 0 (zero, none, zilch) have been taken seriously by CCP. Kinda sad. Im guessing 99% of eve players havent even met a jew, living where i do its hard to remember that most of the world has only second hand knowledge of us. anyway, id like to see less holding corps and industry wings of alliances named after the Hebrew people, its a lame joke and we really are quite good at lots of things, not just handling money. 🙂

December 10, 2013 at 23:38 Reply
    1. GFY

“Ineffectual, young, white, male youths with little real world experience
      and travel, and far too much pent up aggression from a life of
      sedentary fantasy”

Soo…no women, or people of color are racists. And if you are bothered by the word Jew, maybe you should look within yourself, as to why.

December 10, 2013 at 23:48 Reply
      1. Aderoth Anstian

spoken like a true wasp

December 10, 2013 at 23:48 Reply
        1. GFY

wtf is a wasp?

December 10, 2013 at 23:49 Reply
          1. Aderoth Anstian

White Anglo Saxon Protestant

December 10, 2013 at 23:50
          2. GFY

My reply after having to actually google that bs….Hardly.

December 10, 2013 at 23:52
          3. Aderoth Anstian

hardly white, anglo-saxon, protestant or all of the above? makes a difference you know. i mean you could be a latino catholic who is still a racist.

December 10, 2013 at 23:55
          4. Ciaphas Cyne

he could be a gay jewish african from Ethiopia and still be racist… so far hes just been a dummy tho 🙂

December 10, 2013 at 23:57
          5. GFY

You dont even realize what you typed?

December 10, 2013 at 23:57
          6. GFY

Did you not read well, or are you just too butthurt and mad, that you didnt understand?

Basically he implied that only young white guys are racist. I’m far from it. and to be honest, I could be classified as poor white trash, but I dont get all mad and cry about it.

December 10, 2013 at 23:57
          7. Aderoth Anstian

i am genuine southern white trash and i do read and wear shoes. he didn’t imply anything. he called out those who seem to think it’s funny to be a racist. kinda like you.

December 11, 2013 at 00:01
          8. Ciaphas Cyne

i think you are having trouble comprehending my friend.

“little real world experience and travel, and far too much pent up aggression from a life of sedentary fantasy”

this makes a possible vocal bigot ^

“young white guy”

flavors the racism coming out of his mouth ^

i did not imply that ONLY young white guys are racist, i implied that is what is flavoring the racism we see in games like eve, which anyone i think would agree is most vocally contributed to by these kinds of people.

btw im a young white guy. im also familiar with genetic science so racism isnt an issue for me. lolz to you sir.

December 11, 2013 at 00:04
          9. GFY

“he could be a gay jewish african from Ethiopia and still be racist… so far hes just been a dummy tho :)”

By distinguishing in that method, you clearly prove that you have a mentality that separates people.

December 11, 2013 at 00:08
          10. Aderoth Anstian

lol yea guess you’re color-blind like Colbert eh? you do realize that Colbert is satire?

December 11, 2013 at 00:28
          11. Wonder

I wonder if it’s possible that you see young, white men as more typically racist because you hang out with young white men such as yourself. Perhaps if you expanded your social group beyond those such as yourself you’d see it’s everywhere.

December 11, 2013 at 00:29
          12. Ciaphas Cyne

i live in nyc, so i have a pretty varied friend set. and id have to say that no one race is more racist than the other. but then again i never said otherwise so if thats something u thought i said well ur wrong. see again, we can all be racist, its just the kind of racism that permeates eve isnt exactly anti-straight white boy is it?

December 11, 2013 at 02:35
          13. nc.

dude you were wrong for agreeing that only whites are racist in this game… Ive been called a cracka etc and its all in good fun most “racist” words are outdated and mean different things in society today.

December 11, 2013 at 07:46
          14. Ciaphas Cyne

yea please explain to me what the word “nigger” means in modern society. your alliance uses it all the time so def enlighten us as to how youve all changed it. funny…seems to still mean the same fucking things its always meant.

next moron set up please.

December 11, 2013 at 09:09
          15. Ciaphas Cyne

GFY is allergic to google as hes shown in many other posts

December 10, 2013 at 23:56
      2. Ciaphas Cyne

lol oh jeez we got a real tough guy here.

no no your 100% correct there are many many people all over the world who are racist (ie uneducated) of every color and gender and faith.

now let me know which slurs you hear in the gaming world that could be applied to: young white males (ie the majority of gamers) ?

based on nothing but my own personal experience, most gamers fit that young white male stereo type and also 99% of the slurs ive heard in games are not applicable to that demographic.

also…where did i say that i was offended by the word Jew? thats rather odd of you to say that.

December 10, 2013 at 23:55 Reply
        1. Leicester

Maybe the young white male gamers of the world simply don’t give a shit if they are called names?
          Personally I don’t feel aggrieved if someone calls me a ‘cracka’ or ‘peckerwood’ or ‘bogan’ or whatever you can think of – some people in this world who are offended by every little thing just need to take a tablespoon of cement and harden the fuck up.

December 11, 2013 at 00:53 Reply
          1. Ciaphas Cyne

umm no. wrong. u never here cracka on eve because there are very few “non white males” that play. thats my point.

December 11, 2013 at 02:34
          2. muh

or your the racist here.

the whole racist thing is just a load of crap. if you talk about that black guy, its wrong but talk about that white guy its alright suddenly. ppl should stop talking that bullshit and grow some balls.

something can’t be offensive if it doesn’t apply directly to you. i’ve heard ppl saying a jewcook (yes its a cooky where i live) is racism.so they find it offensive. though the guy wasn’t even a jew. funny part is the cooky’s were originaly made by Jews and brought to our country, hence the name. and i personaly think that only says good things about Jews.

Jewing isn’t bad at all. basicly it started becouse the Jews setup banks everywhere and were good at it. so whats bad about that?

instead of calling everyone a racist you might want to start at looking at yourself. its the thought thats behind a word that makes something racism or a compliment.

December 11, 2013 at 03:29
          3. Ciaphas Cyne

this is so many kinds of fucking stupid i cant even handle it.

first of all jews did not proliferate banking in the western world, thats a total myth. read a fucking book before you open your mouth.

and secondly, im so fucking sick and tired of this kneejerk reaction white dudes have to this kind of criticism. i never implied anywhere that racist behavior is exclusive. you just assumed that and went off on a tirade of ignorant bullshit because it makes you feel better.

im gonna go out on a limb here and guess that a black dude fucked your wife and or gf at some point and now youve got issues. am i close?

December 11, 2013 at 09:03
          4. DudeBro

Why did you specifically mention that a black dude fucked his wife ? A white dude wouldn’t do it ? You are a dumb racist like every “joo” so shut your mouth yourself about this. Just because someone is a jew doesn’t mean he’s automatically right and untouchable.

December 11, 2013 at 17:12
          5. Ciaphas Cyne

lol you sound super intelligent. did a jew fuck your wife?

December 11, 2013 at 18:51
          6. muh

your deff. the racist here. since i don’t care what colour person my gf fucks. you apperently do make a difference if it was a Jew, a negro, a hippy or some other steriotype person

December 11, 2013 at 19:00
          7. Ciaphas Cyne

lol no my friend uve missed the point. its ok.

December 11, 2013 at 19:24
          8. ihumpurwife

Negro? Sorry dude Im aperson of color and that word is racist.

December 13, 2013 at 16:52
          9. muh

just so you know, my mom is a negro. still don’t think that word is racist. since with negro i just mean she’s got African roots.

December 15, 2013 at 00:38
          10. Dirty Rotten Sneaky Bastard

First off, you go read your history books. In Medieval times, The Catholics had a prohibition against moneylending and since the majority of the Western World was Catholic, and Muslims were barred from owning businesses, guess who was left? That is right, give the guy a cookie, it was the Jewish that filled the void. How else were wars financed, huge projects, etc.?

And before you go calling me a racist white boy… I am Seminole American Native. And if anyone has the right to be racist, it is the American Natives.
            Read your history on that too.

December 12, 2013 at 00:16
          11. Ciaphas Cyne

quote me the page number and name of the reputable text that says jews started banking. ill wait.

December 12, 2013 at 00:27
          12. Ciaphas Cyne

and no u dont “have a right to be racist” you prick. just because my skin tone is similar to the one that was on the European assholes that fucked your people over means nothing.

December 12, 2013 at 00:29
          13. Dirty Rotten Sneaky Bastard

If you read the history of the Seminole people

You will see that we never surrendered nor was conquered.

December 12, 2013 at 22:21
    2. Aderoth Anstian

thank you. i always give ppl shit when they say they are “jewing” it up for plex or whatever.

December 10, 2013 at 23:48 Reply
      1. Ciaphas Cyne

yea its standard offensive shit that guys like to say idk why. i mean it would make more sense if you were said to be “jewing” after telling a good joke…

December 10, 2013 at 23:49 Reply
    3. eh

What has this story got to do with racism?

December 11, 2013 at 03:38 Reply
      1. Ciaphas Cyne

“But over time a pattern emerged and it was obvious that the quickest way to draw the ire of the GM team on this issue is to have a corp, alliance, or character that seems to support three things: rape, racism, or Nazi Germany”

re read OP, understanding commences.

December 11, 2013 at 09:06 Reply
    4. lying dutchman

“there are only two kinds of people in this world I hate, people that are intolerant of other peoples cultures and the dutch”. That austin powers movie did nothing but ridicule the dutch people. As a dutch person I can also say that no dutch people were even the slightest offended by it. not even when the “dutchman” swore in german and austin powers drank heineken.

now if you’d change dutch into israeli or jew everyone would feel like they were wearing jeand several sizes too small. Geez get over it

December 11, 2013 at 15:26 Reply
      1. Ciaphas Cyne

the dutch. pretending its not racist for 400 years!

December 11, 2013 at 19:26 Reply
        1. Lying Dutchman

And? you saying jews arent racist when they neuter black jews before they are allowed in Israel? I’m not taking the high ground, I don’t want to ruin my kids feast because some people are easily offended, I for one arent easily offended either if they piss on me for being dutch (happened twice on mumble tonight alone)

PS Santa clause keeps elves as slaves, no one offended by that?

December 11, 2013 at 20:43 Reply
          1. Ciaphas Cyne

“when they neuter black jews before they are allowed in Israel”

prove this you nazi shit

December 12, 2013 at 00:30
          2. Lying Dutchman

No I’m not a nazi, in fact I’ve got a chinese fiancee and am one of the most anti racist persons around. I dream of the day where we can all make fun of each other and laugh. I sincerely despise anyone making racist comments and MEANING it. its Just when I dont take offence for being me why should you?

Also here’s the story:

December 12, 2013 at 07:16
          3. Lying Dutchman

Also to clarify my standpoint. In english you have a saying “going dutch” which is derived from dutch people being cheap. I’m not the slightest bit offended by it even though personally I’m far from cheap. Why should you then be offended when people say “jewing” which is derived from Jewish people hoarding money.

interesting fact: historically there were only a very few rich jews, the far majority was extremely poor

December 12, 2013 at 07:43
          4. I just do not know

And the Jews in Europe became money lenders because they were banned from other trades. Anyway at the moment the race that suffers the most racist attacks in the world is no longer the Jews, its white people and yet its never racism, go figure…

December 12, 2013 at 09:18
    5. Provi Miner

lol whats in a name? whats in a symbol? Do you think a confederate flag would draw the ire of the people of “Congo”? Yet having a german sheppard in some parts of africa is still taboo. A large majority of the world views the “bent cross” as a sign of good luck, so why would ccp condem those that use it? A joke is a joke, race sex age physical and mental attributes dont matter. I know good jew jokes, I know good catholic jokes, I know good muslim jokes, I know good blonde jokes, I know good polish jokes, I know good protestant jokes the list is fairly endless. Just because you find “it” offensive doesn’t mean shit, really it doesn’t, who made you the determiner of what is offensive? I sure didn’t and I would appreciate you keep your self bloating sensitivities to yourself. Thank you.

December 11, 2013 at 16:08 Reply
      1. Ciaphas Cyne

for someone who is advocating the lighter side approach you seem pretty butt hurt. maybe take ur own advice?

December 11, 2013 at 19:28 Reply
  8. Billbo

Still waiting on those minutes pal……

December 11, 2013 at 00:38 Reply
  9. csm8sucks

csm member not helping out the people who elected him. a true politician indeed.

stop being shit and get those csm minutes out.

December 11, 2013 at 02:19 Reply
  10. Kevin McColl

Wow….. just…..wow……

December 11, 2013 at 05:30 Reply
  11. D3

REALLY FUNNY YOU RIGHT AN ARTICLE ABOUT TRANSPARENCY WHEN YOU WONT TELL THE PLAYERS WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT CCP CHEATING. AS CSM IT WAS THE 1ONLY1 THING I TOOK SERIOUSLY.

December 11, 2013 at 10:03 Reply
  12. troll

Oh my, this comment section is full of SJW. When did they arrive in EvE and why couldn’t they just have stayed in their Tumblr circle jerk?

December 11, 2013 at 17:21 Reply
    1. Ciaphas Cyne

oh is your fat ass getting upset that being white doesn’t give you privileges ? are you maybe feeling a little weak and powerless in the face of the changing world? that really sucks for you, im sorry!

December 12, 2013 at 00:34 Reply
      1. GFY

You sure do call people names a lot. Maybe seek counseling about your issues. You might be able to better yourself, and be able to be proud, and happy. Instead of so bitter.

December 12, 2013 at 00:46 Reply
      2. troll

I bet my EvE account thar you are a fanatical subscriber of Reddit SRS also. Right? Oh the irony in this world, it never fails to impress…

December 12, 2013 at 14:18 Reply
  13. Mr Majesty

racist, faggot brainwashing, Nazi, bigoted SOB’s….. the lot of uhm! lol

December 12, 2013 at 01:41 Reply
  14. I feed on your rage

Rape, racism, or Nazi Germany? Sounds like PL alright

December 12, 2013 at 07:51 Reply
  15. StupidNerds!

Blackwater changed there company name back in 2009…..I don’t see a problem with naming a corp after something like that…maybe not name your corp “SuperNaziBNPBushProLifeRape Inc.” but other then that the rest of you out there in the PC nations should….you guest it HTFU!!!

December 12, 2013 at 12:14 Reply
  16. Mr Majesty

Death to nigger haters

December 14, 2013 at 11:42 Reply
  17. Shalazan

I mean, CCP renamed my corp TO Internet Terorrists. So figure that out.

December 29, 2013 at 18:11 Reply