Comments

We play a funny game sometimes. And nowhere is it funnier than the tendency of EVE players to want to push every in-game and out-of-game border to see where the breaking points are. EVE developers don’t like to make concrete statements about what is legal and what isn’t when it comes to these borders. The reason is that if a dev makes a concrete statement that “doing X 17 times is legal, but doing X 20 times is illegal”:

1. there will invariably be someone who insists on doing X both 18 and 19 times to see how CCP reacts; and,
  2. any concrete statement a dev does make will be picked apart and picked apart to look for loopholes.

With that in mind, let’s look at the Erebus kill that Shadow Cartel managed the other day. Normally I wouldn’t write about this until my KOTW post, but there’s so much going on with this titan that it deserves a deeper look. I’d rather not clutter the KOTW post with all the details.

When a ship is logged off or disconnected in space, the ship will execute an “e-warp” or an emergency warp to a random location one million kilometers away from where the log off/disconnect happened. When the player logs back in, their ship is then return warped back to its previous position in space. While this return warp looks like any other warp, the player cannot abort the warp by stopping their ship, nor can they jump the ship to another system (if it’s a capital ship). The return warp is really part of the process of logging back in.

However, as the art of probing has advanced over the last couple of years and become quicker and more precise for the practitioners of it, it’s become more and more common for players to probe down these e-warp locations. As player risk aversion and patience have increased also over the last few years, it’s become more common for players to wait hours or even days for a ship logged off to return. In a way, it’s not much different from sitting on a POS or a titan for several hours, but with one difference: sufficient patience in this situation will guarantee a kill, often an expensive kill. The CEO of my own corp has been heard to remark “you don’t leave beer to go find beer” and while my alliance doesn’t bother with this kind of log-off camping, there are a number of corps that do.

This situation was becoming common enough that as part of the deployment of the Inferno patch more than a year ago, CCP was asked to make a ruling about this situation: was tackling ships in their e-warp positions considered legal? CCP Masterplan said yes:

…you’ll be warping back from a random 1M km point. If someone manages to find this spot and bubble it before you align, they will now prevent your warp. They could always do this with targetted tackle, this change just makes bubbles consistent.

But what about low-sec, where you can’t use bubbles? You can only tackle a super with a directed heavy interdictor point. In actual practice, players trying to do this to return warping supers in low-sec found they were unable to do so… probably a side effect of the log-in return warp process.

So EVE player W0wbagger and his buddies at Shadow Cartel decided to innovate. If they couldn’t “infini-point” a super coming out of a return warp, they decided to prevent it warping by bumping it. In normal EVE play, this is a perfectly valid technique and has been used to prevent many players from getting into warp. But in a e-warp return warp scenario, it’s really all the tackle you need against a super. Since the super is trapped in the return warp process, they can’t even use an emergency cyno to jump their ship out of harm’s way!

And that’s how this titan kill went down. Shadow Cartel bumped the Erebus repeatedly until they could arrange a proper dread fleet with which to kill it.

Needless to say, those involved quickly split between those crying “exploit!” and those crying “oh clever!” W0wbagger wrote a post on Failheap Challenge justifying SC’s use of the tactic and wrapped it up with:

TLDR – don’t feel it’s an exploit due to masterplans post/previous patch changes, Rubicon just made it easier to do. Has always been legal in null. Only issue is inability to cancel ewarp. Hopefully CCP clarify.

And it’s taken CCP all of 24 hours to “clarify”, with an EVE Online news post written by CCP Dolan:

Bumping a ship in order to get it stuck in emergency warp alignment limbo when its pilot logs in is now considered an exploit.

So that means the issue is completely settled now, right? Well, there are a few people disputing it (and the argument is raging back and forth on FHC) but for the most part players are OK with the announcement.

But if you are currently saying “Jester, this is a concrete statement by a CCP dev. Are there players out there picking it apart looking for loopholes?”, well done! Award yourself +1 Internet. No less a personality than Helicity Boson did:

Obviously it was going to be ruled exploitative imho, but as the statement shows it was not consistently ruled an exploit until now, this has now been resolved.

Hee! It just never stops, does it? EVE players can’t help but camp the spawn point, wherever they find one. And people wonder why EVE devs drink…

– Ripard Teg

2,130 Comments

1. I am not very superb with English but I find this very easygoing to translate.

July 20, 2019 at 07:50 Reply
  2. I like this post, enjoyed this one appreciate it for posting. “The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself.” by Rita Mae Brown.

July 20, 2019 at 13:04 Reply
  3. Hey there! Wonderful stuff, please do tell us when you post again something similar!

July 20, 2019 at 14:35 Reply
  4. I want to express appreciation to you just for rescuing me from this problem. Right after browsing through the online world and obtaining opinions which were not beneficial, I believed my entire life was done. Living devoid of the approaches to the problems you have resolved by means of your good write-up is a critical case, and the ones that would have badly damaged my career if I hadn’t encountered your site. Your good capability and kindness in dealing with all the stuff was helpful. I am not sure what I would have done if I hadn’t come upon such a subject like this. I can at this time look forward to my future. Thank you so much for your high quality and effective guide. I will not think twice to recommend the blog to any individual who would need guidance on this situation.

July 20, 2019 at 17:40 Reply
  5. magnificent points altogether, you simply won a new reader. What might you suggest about your post that you just made some days in the past? Any certain?

July 20, 2019 at 20:02 Reply
  6. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

July 20, 2019 at 22:05 Reply
  7. I’m still learning from you, as I’m making my way to the top as well. I definitely liked reading everything that is written on your blog.Keep the information coming. I liked it!

July 21, 2019 at 02:01 Reply
  8. Hey there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to look it over. I’m definitely loving the information. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Excellent blog and amazing design.

July 21, 2019 at 03:26 Reply
  9. I’mI am not sure where you areyou’re getting your infoinformation, but goodgreat topic. I needs to spend some time learning moremuch more or understanding more. Thanks for greatwonderfulfantasticmagnificentexcellent informationinfo I was looking for this informationinfo for my mission.

July 21, 2019 at 04:29 Reply
  10. Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique. P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

July 21, 2019 at 07:23 Reply
  11. Fantastic blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers? I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any tips? Bless you!

July 21, 2019 at 08:06 Reply
  12. Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…

July 21, 2019 at 16:20 Reply
  13. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

July 21, 2019 at 17:11 Reply
  14. YesterdayThe other dayToday, while I was at work, my sistercousin stole my iPadiphoneapple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a thirtyforty40twenty five2530 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPadapple ipad is now brokendestroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is completelyentirelytotally off topic but I had to share it with someone!

July 21, 2019 at 19:52 Reply
  15. It can be almost unthinkable to encounter well-educated users on this issue, however you appear like you realize what exactly you’re covering! Cheers

July 22, 2019 at 00:52 Reply
  16. Might be practically impossible to come across well-updated individual on this matter, in addition you look like you comprehend what you’re covering! Appreciate It

July 22, 2019 at 02:14 Reply
  17. Amazing blog layout here. Was it hard creating a nice looking website like this?

July 22, 2019 at 02:53 Reply
  18. I really hope to inform you you that I am new to putting up a blog and totally enjoyed your site. More than likely I am likely to remember your blog post . You absolutely have lovely article blog posts. Be Thankful For it for telling with us your main domain write-up

July 22, 2019 at 03:13 Reply
  19. I reallyI trulyI seriouslyI absolutely love your blogyour siteyour website.. Very niceExcellentPleasantGreat colors & theme. Did you createdevelopmakebuild this websitethis sitethis web sitethis amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I’m looking totrying toplanning towanting tohoping toattempting to create my ownmy very ownmy own personal blogwebsitesite and would like towant towould love to knowlearnfind out where you got this from or what theexactly what thejust what the theme is calledis named. ThanksMany thanksThank youCheersAppreciate itKudos!

July 22, 2019 at 04:12 Reply
  20. Hi, Neat post. There is a problem with your site in internet explorer, might check thisK IE still is the marketplace chief and a good part of other people will miss your great writing due to this problem.

July 22, 2019 at 04:28 Reply
  21. Hey there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thanks

July 22, 2019 at 05:25 Reply
  22. I think this is one of the most important information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

July 22, 2019 at 10:50 Reply
  23. You could certainly see your expertise in the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart.

July 22, 2019 at 11:02 Reply
  24. Amazing blog layout here. Was it hard creating a nice looking website like this?

July 22, 2019 at 13:06 Reply
  25. It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

July 22, 2019 at 14:52 Reply