We would like to re-affirm our partnership with eve-kill.net and the EVESCO Killboard Service, we both share the same vision of the need for New Eden to have an accurate source of “neutral” kill summaries. We once mentioned that killboards were the only real and tangible way to shout the proverbial “I was there” claim, an affirmation we hold to this day. As accurate as the kill-summaries get, the better, more accurate battle-reports we’ll be providing.
We would also like to point out that our decision to support eve-kill.net has always been founded in their commitment to be open, services as Wollari’s dotlan, Dog-Net Br doctor and many other third party developers utilize the feed data to provide a richer web-app experience.
Having said this, we would like to invite you to take a moment and consider Karborwiak’s push to provide a better Eve-kill.
The NEW EVE-KILL, and all the small things.
We are switching to the New API system CCP announced a few months ago, as the “old” system is set to be deprecated in the future, this is a move which we are all forced to comply with.
A few perks and details:
1) Feeding from killboards to EVE-KILL
- this is going away, in favour of the new API system. Why? simple, people had to give full apikeys before, now they dont. So noone can say “UH YOU’LL STEAL MY INFORMATION IF I GIVE YOU MY API”.. Cause all we need, is access to either corp or pilot, and the killlog
2) Feeding from EVE-KILL
- This is still doable, however, we are switching from the oldschool ?a=feed to the new ?a=idfeed. So old versions of EDK can’t fetch from us anymore. idfeed has some improvements, not only in speed, but it default only fetches api verified mails. But look at eve-kill.net/?a=idfeed if you want all the variables you can use.
- All your stylesheets was removed. Reason for this is that, the old styles didn’t have the necessary stuff to show any of the killboards hosted by EVSCO correctly. So instead of having people come back to a killboard where the menu was gone, or at the bottom of the board. We decided to simply remove them and have people start fresh.
4) API Mod and manual fetches
- The API mod have been replaced by our own creation, which is very much simplified. It has a few drawbacks however.
You can no longer do manual fetches, or look at a log of your imported kills.
This might change in the future, but currently we don’t log much other than how many mails are coming in every hour.
5) Cache, Comments and Varnish
- Varnish cache time has been lowered to 30s, with a 360m grace (meaning if the backend isn’t responding due to crazy load, varnish will give you the latest cached version), also the killboard caches the page in memcached for 1minute.
This means that when you post a comment and it doesn’t show up right away – it is posted, but it wont show before the cache gives up.
In the future i will device something that varies the cachetime depending on load on the server. So everyone gets the best experience.
6) OH GOD THE KILLLIST, ITS CHANGED..
- Yes, its changed, so is many of the templates the killboard uses. This means that stuff like BRDOC is broken till the owner can fix it, also means that stuff looks different.
7) Where is the characterinfo api?!!?
- Its coming back in the near future, together with a whole slew of APIs we will put at the developers disposal, ranging from pilot/corp/alliance information, all time kill stats to the raw mails themselves.
8) MY STATS, MY CONTRACTS, WHY ARE THEY SO FUCKED?!!?
- While redoing the database, we had to think differently about how we have the data in the database, currently we have all the tables split into a month_year layout. Meaning that, at any one time – your killboard will only access mails for that month and year.
This is why your detail pages look weird, this is also why your contracts for 2011 don’t show for 2011 anymore, but only this month of 2011.
We have already put detail pages into a cache that is generated as you view pages. And we will move onto contracts so you can get your precious contracts for all of 2011 back. (or 2005, or 2006)
9) Toplists, wtf..
- We had to disable all toplists. They were causing so much database load that we decided we needed to recode them.
If there is anything I ‘ve forgotten to explain, or mention, just write back to the blog and I will do my utmost to explain it.
Make sure to pour in your customized API key for eve-kill here.
[spoiler show="Did we mess up?"]
We want to give you guys the best possible intel, to post as fast as we can confirm it, but Eve being :Eve: is quite confusing. If we messed up with our intel, please contact us directly [email protected], provide the proof of it and we’ll correct it immediately noting the change and bringing the correction on top of the article list.[/spoiler]
If you would like to send intel or contribute, feel free to use the form below:
[spoiler show="Submit Intel Here"]